Register to reply

What is the apical membrane of a plasma membrane?

by marc32123
Tags: apical, membrane, plasma
Share this thread:
marc32123
Mar29-14, 12:10 PM
P: 18
I keep coming across the word apical and basolateral membrane in my study of plasma membranes of cells. I am wondering if the apical membrane is towards the inside of the cell (cytoplasm) or towards the outside ?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Honey bees sting Texas man about 1,000 times
Study indicates large raptors in Africa used for bushmeat
The microbes make the sake brewery
Monique
Mar29-14, 01:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Neither, basolateral membrane means the membrane that is contacting the basement membrane, the apical is on the opposite side. Think of your skin: the membrane that faces the environment/outside is apical, the membrane facing the inside of your body is the basolateral side. The apical membrane of intestinal cells face the lumen.
marc32123
Mar29-14, 02:56 PM
P: 18
So the part of the cell's membrane that is facing towards the outside of the cell is called the apical membrane? And apical surface would refer to that the apical membrane then right? Also, is the basolateral membrane the membrane that is facing towards the cytoplasm? And what is the basement membrane that you mentioned? I am really confused!

Andy Resnick
Mar31-14, 10:49 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,508
What is the apical membrane of a plasma membrane?

The terms 'apical' and 'basolateral' refer to adherent cells (as opposed to say, circulating blood cells) that have a 'polarized' structure: at the tissue level, the tissue constitutes a dividing surface between 'inside' and 'outside'- osteocytes and neurons are adherent but don't have an apical/basolateral side.

For example:
http://droualb.faculty.mjc.edu/Cours...15_labeled.jpg
http://droualb.faculty.mjc.edu/Cours...23_labeled.jpg

For epithelial tissue, the side facing 'outside' is the apical surface, while the side facing 'inside' (the blood) is the basolateral surface.

Register to reply