Alcohol gel cooled with dry ice

In summary, the individual tried cooling down 91% isopropyl alcohol with dry ice and noticed that it turned into a thick gel instead of solidifying. They speculate that the 9% water content in the alcohol may be responsible for this. They also considered the possibility that the dry ice may have extracted the water from the solution, but are not sure. They suggest that intermolecular forces at low temperatures may be playing a role in the gelling process. However, they are not sure of the technical definition of a gel and did not see the Tyndall effect. The gel was not viscous enough to stay in an inverted cup and bubbled violently when poured on a room temperature surface. Its temperature was below the range
mishima
Hi I tried cooling down some 91% isopropyl alcohol with dry ice. After a few minutes, the alcohol became a thick gel. I am wondering what is going on there, thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I mean why does it become gel? I tried putting some in a graduated cylinder and only noticed a slight (1mL) increase in volume after it returned to room temperature. However it also contained a great deal of CO2 gas bubbles making the cold reading difficult.

Perhaps 9% of water is what makes it gelling instead of nicely solidifying.

I'm not sure, dry ice gets a shell/coating of water ice when submerged in water. Could it extract the 9% from solution? I wasn't specifically looking for such a shell so I don't know if that happens/is possible. I was thinking intermolecular forces might be coming into play at the low temperature.

No doubt about intermolecular forces playing their part - but they are responsible both for gelling and for solidifying (actually they are also responsible for keeping liquid in place).

Do you think its the hydrogen bonds coming off the alcohol group, specifically?

I actually don't know the technical definition of a gel, I thought it was like a colloid but I did not see the Tyndall effect. I don't think it was quite viscous enough to stay put in an inverted cup, it bubbled violently and evaporated rapidly when poured on a room temperature surface. It was below range of both my non-contact thermometer and my normal alcohol thermometer, but I assume close to the temperature of dry ice.

1. How does alcohol gel cooled with dry ice work?

Alcohol gel cooled with dry ice works by utilizing the sublimation process of dry ice. As the dry ice evaporates, it absorbs heat from the alcohol gel, cooling it down significantly. This is because dry ice has a temperature of -109.3°F (-78.5°C) and is much colder than regular ice. The alcohol gel is able to reach a lower temperature than it would with regular ice, making it an effective cooling method.

2. Is alcohol gel cooled with dry ice safe to use?

Yes, alcohol gel cooled with dry ice is generally considered safe to use. However, it is important to handle dry ice with caution as it can cause burns if it comes into direct contact with skin. It is also important to ensure proper ventilation when using dry ice as it releases carbon dioxide gas. As with any chemical or substance, it is important to follow safety precautions and handle it with care.

3. What are the benefits of using alcohol gel cooled with dry ice?

Alcohol gel cooled with dry ice has several benefits. It can create a much colder temperature than regular ice, making it an effective method for keeping items cold or for use in scientific experiments. It also does not melt like regular ice, making it a more convenient option for long-term use. Additionally, dry ice is non-toxic and odorless, making it safe for use in food and beverage cooling.

4. Can any type of alcohol gel be used with dry ice?

Not all types of alcohol gel are suitable for use with dry ice. It is important to check the label of the alcohol gel to make sure it is safe for use with dry ice. Some types of alcohol gel may contain substances that could react with dry ice and cause harm. It is best to use alcohol gel specifically labeled as safe for use with dry ice.

5. How long does alcohol gel stay cold when cooled with dry ice?

The duration of the cooling effect of alcohol gel cooled with dry ice will depend on various factors such as the amount of dry ice used, the type of alcohol gel, and the surrounding temperature. Generally, it can stay cold for several hours, making it a suitable option for outdoor events or scientific experiments that require prolonged cooling. However, it is important to regularly check the temperature and add more dry ice if needed to maintain the desired level of coldness.