Understanding Color Factors in Eq. 8.45-8.46

In summary, the transition from Eq. (8.45) to (8.46) is allowed because the color factors, represented by the vectors c_i, live in a different space from the Dirac spinors u(i). This means they commute with the spinor-space matrices and can be pulled out of the expression. If this still feels uncomfortable, explicit indices can be used to show that all quantities commute since they are just numbers.
spookyfish
Hi. I was reading Griffiths page 289 and I wasn't sure how the transition from Eq. (8.45) to (8.46) was allowed. What bothers me is factoring out the "color factors" since the c's are vectors, and generally the elements of these color factors are matrices. For example, how is it allowed to pull out [itex]c_3^\dagger \lambda^\alpha c_1[/itex] out of [itex] \bar{u}(3)c_3^\dagger \lambda^\alpha \gamma^\mu u(1) c_1 [/itex]. Is it because the color factors live in a different space (color space) so they commute with spinor-space matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the color vectors [itex]c_i[/itex] live in a space different from that of the Dirac spinors [itex]u(i)[/itex]. If you still feel uncomfortable you can always use explicit indices: the Dirac spinors and the Dirac matrices have indices, say, i,j,k and the color vectors and the color generators have indices, say, a,b,c. Once the indices are explicit all the quantities commute with each other since they are just numbers. Then, for example:
$$
\bar u(3)c_3^\dagger\lambda^\alpha\gamma_\mu u(1)c_1=\bar u_i(3)c_{3a}^\dagger\lambda^\alpha_{ab}\gamma_{\mu}^{ij}u_j(1)c_{1b}= \bar u_i(3)\gamma_\mu^{ij}u_j(1)c_{3a}^\dagger\lambda_{ab}^\alpha c_{1b}=(\bar u(3)\gamma_\mu u(1))(c_3^\dagger\lambda^\alpha c_1).
$$
I hope this answer your question.

Likes 1 person
yes, thank you

1. What is the significance of Eq. 8.45-8.46 in understanding color factors?

Eq. 8.45-8.46, also known as the CIE XYZ color space equations, are fundamental in understanding color factors because they describe how the human eye perceives color. These equations mathematically quantifies the tristimulus values of a color, which represent the amount of red, green, and blue light needed to create that color. By understanding these equations, we can better understand how color is perceived and how it can be manipulated.

2. How do the CIE XYZ color space equations relate to the human eye?

The CIE XYZ color space equations were developed based on extensive research on human color vision. They take into account the sensitivity of the three types of cone cells in the human eye to red, green, and blue light, and how these cells work together to perceive different colors. Therefore, these equations are directly related to the physiology of the human eye and provide a scientific understanding of color perception.

3. What is the difference between Eq. 8.45 and Eq. 8.46?

Eq. 8.45 calculates the CIE XYZ tristimulus values based on the spectral power distribution of the light source, while Eq. 8.46 calculates the tristimulus values based on the spectral reflectance of an object. In simpler terms, Eq. 8.45 is used to determine the color of a light source, while Eq. 8.46 is used to determine the color of an object under a given light source.

4. How can Eq. 8.45-8.46 be used in practical applications?

The CIE XYZ color space equations are widely used in colorimetry to measure and quantify colors. They are also used in color management systems to ensure consistency and accuracy in color reproduction across different devices. In addition, these equations are used in the development of color standards and color models, such as the RGB and CMYK color models.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the CIE XYZ color space equations?

One limitation of the CIE XYZ color space equations is that they are based on the average human color perception and do not take into account individual variations in color vision. Additionally, these equations do not account for the influence of factors such as age, gender, and cultural background on color perception. Some criticisms also state that the equations are outdated and do not fully capture the complexities of color perception. However, the CIE XYZ color space remains a widely used and accepted method for understanding and quantifying color factors.