Register to reply

Intuitive meaning of Dot Product

by 22990atinesh
Tags: intuitive, meaning, product
Share this thread:
22990atinesh
May8-14, 03:35 PM
P: 59
I know intuitively that the Cross Product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## represents another vector ##\vec{A \times B}## perpendicular to it. In study of physics we come across this situation a lot. Hence I can visualize some applications of it

I know that the dot product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## is scalar quantity and also that it represents angular relationship between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## .i.e.
  • If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} = 0##. Then ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are perpendicular.
  • If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} > 0## (Positive). Then the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are less than ##90^o##.
  • If ##\vec{A}##.##\vec{B} < 0## (Negative). Then the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## are greater than ##90^o##.

But I won't be able to understand intuitively, What does the dot product represents. What does the magnitude of the dot product of two vectors represents.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
jtbell
May8-14, 03:49 PM
Mentor
P: 11,781
It represents the component or projection of one vector along the other one, times the magnitude of the other one. This diagram shows it using the projection of A along B: (|A| cos θ)|B|.

You can also do it the other way, using the projection of B along A, and get the same result: (|B| cos θ)|A|.
A.T.
May8-14, 04:06 PM
P: 4,058
Quote Quote by 22990atinesh View Post
I know intuitively that the Cross Product of two vectors ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## represents another vector ##\vec{A \times B}## perpendicular to it.
But that's not all. The magnitude of the cross product also has a geometrical interpretation:

Quote Quote by 22990atinesh View Post
But I won't be able to understand intuitively, What does the dot product represents. What does the magnitude of the dot product of two vectors represents.
What baffles me, is that you obviously found the wiki page on the cross product (and posted the picture from it), but couldn't find the page on the dot product with the picture jtbell posted.

22990atinesh
May9-14, 08:58 AM
P: 59
Intuitive meaning of Dot Product

Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
It represents the component or projection of one vector along the other one, times the magnitude of the other one. This diagram shows it using the projection of A along B: (|A| cos θ)|B|.

You can also do it the other way, using the projection of B along A, and get the same result: (|B| cos θ)|A|.
Quote Quote by A.T. View Post
But that's not all. The magnitude of the cross product also has a geometrical interpretation:

What baffles me, is that you obviously found the wiki page on the cross product (and posted the picture from it), but couldn't find the page on the dot product with the picture jtbell posted.
I've read that article. I understand that the multiplication of the projection of ##\vec{a}## onto ##\vec{b}## (|##\vec{a}##|cos θ) with |##\vec{b}##| gives the dot product of vectors ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}##. But my doubt is that, what does this quantity represents. Whats the application of it.
jtbell
May9-14, 09:52 AM
Mentor
P: 11,781
Have you studied the concept of "work" in physics yet? That's the first application of the dot product that most physics students see.

Register to reply