Fluid mechanics: books and other learning resources

In summary, a civil engineering student is seeking easy books to begin studying hydraulics on their own, as their current study plan does not include related courses. They are also looking for suggestions on journals or websites that publish relevant and current issues about fluid dynamics and its applications to civil engineering, preferably free to read. Some suggested resources include the Cambridge Journal of Fluid Mechanics, the International Journal of Civil Engineering, and the Society of Engineering Science's Executive Summary on Fluids.
Felafel
Hello everyone!
I'm a civil engineering (bachelor) student, and I was fascinated by the "hydraulics" course.
unfortunately, my study plan doesn't include other courses on the matter for at least one year.
Thus, I am looking for some easy books to begin with, to study it a bit on my own.
Also, I'd like to know which journals or websites allow publications on the most relevant, current issues about fluid dynamics and its applications to civil engineering (it'd be great if there were some free to read).
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance :D

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their motion and behavior under different conditions.

2. What are some good books for learning fluid mechanics?

Some popular books for learning fluid mechanics include "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White, "Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals and Applications" by Yunus A. Cengel and John M. Cimbala, and "An Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Franz Durst.

3. Are there any online resources for learning fluid mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning fluid mechanics such as lecture notes, video lectures, simulations, and online courses. Some popular websites for learning fluid mechanics include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics to learn fluid mechanics?

While a background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong understanding of math to learn fluid mechanics. Basic knowledge of calculus, algebra, and differential equations is sufficient for understanding the concepts of fluid mechanics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of fluid mechanics in real-life situations?

Fluid mechanics has many practical applications in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering. It is also used in fields like meteorology, environmental studies, and bioengineering. Knowledge of fluid mechanics can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in these applications.