Is there any element that does not absorb neutrons?

In summary, OP is researching the topic of neutron absorption. There is no clear answer to their question, as all elements have an isotope that will not absorb any more neutrons. The crossection depends on the configuration of the atoms and the energy of the neutrons.
Nitro Squared
Recently I have been researching the topic and I have not found any completely clear answer.
To restate my question (as I asked in the title), is there any element that would not absorb neutrons and if not which element has the lowest neutron absorption rate?
Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Is there any element that does not absorb neutrons?
Short answer: No.
Executive answer: it depends.

which element has the lowest neutron absorption rate?
Oxygen

The quantity you are looking for is called "neutron absorption crossection"
The crossection depends on the configuration of the atoms and the energy of the neutrons - which is probably why you are having trouble finding a clear answer: there isn't one.
i.e. for thermal neutrons.
-- Kenneth Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com. 1995 - 2014. Accessed on-line: 8/4/2014

Nitro Squared said:
Recently I have been researching the topic and I have not found any completely clear answer.
To restate my question (as I asked in the title), is there any element that would not absorb neutrons
All of them. Otherwise the x-axis of the chart of nuclides would go on forever.
and if not which element has the lowest neutron absorption rate?
Once again, all of the nuclides on the right hand edge of the chart. According to wiki, Hydrogen-7 had to be synthesized using heavy helium atoms bombarding a hydrogen atom, so it may not even have a defined neutron absorption rate.

Hydrogen-7
7H consists of a proton and six neutrons. It was first synthesised in 2003 by a group of Russian, Japanese and French scientists at RIKEN's RI Beam Science Laboratory by bombarding hydrogen with helium-8 atoms. In the resulting reaction, all six of the helium-8's neutrons were donated to the hydrogen's nucleus. The two remaining protons were detected by the "RIKEN telescope", a device composed of several layers of sensors, positioned behind the target of the RI Beam cyclotron.

On the chart of the nuclides link above, they have a hyperlink labeled σ(n,y). All of the nuclides greyed out have undefined cross sections.

All of the colored nucleons on the chart have defined cross sections. Xenon-135 appears to have the largest at 2.665E+6 barns.

Thank you.

All of them. Otherwise the x-axis of the chart of nuclides would go on forever.
i.e. for every element there exists an isotope that will not absorb any more neutrons... at least, not without fissioning.

Probably another reason there is no clear answer to the question ;)

Simon Bridge said:
i.e. for every element there exists an isotope that will not absorb any more neutrons... at least, not without fissioning.
I believe the nuke nerds would claim that that would be only for fissionable isotopes. The rest just decay. Beta, gamma, and alpha are the only decay modes I remember.
Probably another reason there is no clear answer to the question ;)

NoSimon Bridge + Yes(All of them)OmCheeto = it depends.

:smile:

ps. This doesn't strike me as a chemistry question. Should this thread be moved to the "High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics" forum?

The ;link I gave in post #2 is to a chemistry site, so it seems this is something that gets covered in a chemistry classes.
We don't know enough to call it "high energy".
Need the context - is OP looking for a material especially transparent to neutrons in some energy range?

1. What is an element?

An element is a pure substance that is made up of only one type of atom. It cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means.

2. What does it mean for an element to absorb neutrons?

When an element absorbs neutrons, it means that the neutrons are being captured and incorporated into the nucleus of the atom. This can happen through a process called neutron capture, where an atom's nucleus captures a neutron and forms a new, heavier isotope of the element.

3. Are there any known elements that do not absorb neutrons?

Yes, there are a few elements that have very low neutron absorption cross sections, meaning they are less likely to capture neutrons. These include beryllium, carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen.

4. Why is it important to know which elements absorb neutrons?

Knowing which elements absorb neutrons is crucial for nuclear reactions and power generation. Some elements, such as uranium, are used in nuclear reactors because they have a high neutron absorption cross section, making them able to sustain a chain reaction. On the other hand, elements with low neutron absorption cross sections may be used as neutron moderators to slow down the reaction.

5. Can an element change its ability to absorb neutrons?

Yes, an element's ability to absorb neutrons can change depending on its isotopes. Different isotopes of an element may have different neutron absorption cross sections due to their different numbers of neutrons in the nucleus. This is why isotopes of the same element can have different uses in nuclear reactions.