Neutron flux and current

badvot
Hi,
I am sorry if my question seems a bit basic but I find it confusing to understand the differences between the angular neutron flux and the neutron current vector.
I read the definitions from multiple textbooks (Lamarsh, Stacey, Duderstadt) but my idea is that: despite the fact that the angular flux is a scalar quantity, doesn't it have the direction information built in its definition, i mean that if we are to compute phi(r,omega,E,t), this will give the number of neutrons moving with velocity in this particular omega direction which is the equivalent of what we will get if we took the dot product of the current vector by the unit vector that describe the direction omega.
i hope i have illustrated my POV clearly.
Thanks for advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
badvot said:
despite the fact that the angular flux is a scalar quantity, doesn't it have the direction information built in its definition
Yes it does, but it is a scalar quantity dependent on the solid angle.

In neutron transport theory, one has neutron angular density, given by N(r,Ω,E,t), and it is defined as
probable (or expected) number of neutrons at the position r with direction Ω and energy E at time f, per unit volume per unit solid angle per unit energy. It is just the number of neutrons, without a direction, but it is dependent on the direction of interest.

The product of the neutron speed v and the neutron angular density is called the neutron angular flux, which is given by ## \Phi##(r,Ω,E,t) = v * N(r,Ω,E,t), where v is the speed, not the velocity of the neutrons. It is also a scalar.

The net number of neutrons crossing a surface element per unit energy in unit time is called the neutron current, and it is given by

## \vec{J} (r, E, t) = v \int{\Omega N(r, \Omega, E, t)\ d\Omega} ##

or expressed in terms of the neutron angular flux

## \phi (r, E, t) = \int_{4\pi} \Phi(r, \Omega, E, t)\ d\Omega ##

## \vec{J} (r, E, t) = \int_{4\pi} {\Omega \Phi(r, \Omega, E, t)\ d\Omega} ##

and the neutron flux and current are the zeroth and first moment of the neutron angular flux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(mathematics)

I used the notes from the following, which expresses this information nicely. See page 412-414, or pages 4-6 in the pdf (Section 1.2, Description of neutrons)
https://www.osti.gov/etdeweb/servlets/purl/20854879

badvot said:
Hi,
I am sorry if my question seems a bit basic but I find it confusing to understand the differences between the angular neutron flux and the neutron current vector.
I read the definitions from multiple textbooks (Lamarsh, Stacey, Duderstadt) but my idea is that: despite the fact that the angular flux is a scalar quantity, doesn't it have the direction information built in its definition,
In nuclear engineering terminology, the "scalar flux" is usually the angular flux integrated over all angles. Technically the angular flux is also a scalar value, but it is the flux with direction "omega". I think this agrees with what you are saying, but the term "scalar" may cause some confusion in NE terminology.

badvot said:
i mean that if we are to compute phi(r,omega,E,t), this will give the number of neutrons moving with velocity in this particular omega direction
Slight correction, but it is the number of neutrons times the velocity with energy E.

To be more precise, ##\psi(r,\Omega,E,t) \, d\Omega \, dE## is the number of neutrons times the velocity about ##dE## and ##d\Omega##.

badvot said:
which is the equivalent of what we will get if we took the dot product of the current vector by the unit vector that describe the direction omega.
i hope i have illustrated my POV clearly.
Thanks for advance.
One point to make is that the current vector is the "net" flow of neutrons, so it is the flux in one direction minus the flux going in the opposite direction.

If the flux is isotropic, then diffusion would be valid and it would be true that the net flow of neutrons in a certain direction is the dot product of the current vector.

However, the angular flux is often not isotropic, so you cannot make this approximation. The angular flux is usually very dependent on the angle, the flux can even be discontinuous in the angle space. Therefore, it is not as simple as taking the dot product of the current vector.

What is neutron flux?

Neutron flux is a measurement of the intensity of neutron radiation, expressed as the number of neutrons passing through a unit area per unit time, typically neutrons per square centimeter per second (n/cm²/s). It is a crucial parameter in fields like nuclear physics and reactor engineering, as it helps in assessing the rate at which neutrons encounter nuclear fuel or other materials.

How is neutron flux different from neutron current?

Neutron flux and neutron current are related but distinct concepts. Neutron flux, as mentioned, measures the intensity of neutron flow through a unit area. Neutron current, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the actual flow of neutrons in a specific direction and is measured in neutrons per centimeter squared per second (n/cm²/s). Essentially, while flux is concerned with the density of neutrons in an area, current deals with the movement of neutrons through that area.

Why is measuring neutron flux important in nuclear reactors?

Measuring neutron flux in nuclear reactors is crucial for several reasons. It allows for the monitoring of the reactor's power level since the neutron flux correlates directly with the rate of nuclear fission reactions occurring within the reactor core. This measurement is vital for ensuring the reactor operates safely, efficiently, and within its criticality limits. Additionally, understanding the distribution of neutron flux helps in optimizing the burnup and lifespan of nuclear fuel.

What methods are used to measure neutron flux?

Several methods are used to measure neutron flux, including the use of ionization chambers, fission chambers, and self-powered neutron detectors. Each type of detector has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific requirements of the measurement, such as the neutron energy range, the environmental conditions, and the required accuracy and response time.

How does neutron flux affect materials in a nuclear reactor?

Neutron flux can significantly affect materials used in a nuclear reactor. High levels of neutron exposure can lead to material degradation phenomena such as embrittlement, swelling, and creep. These effects can alter the mechanical and physical properties of the materials, potentially leading to reduced structural integrity and lifespan of reactor components. Therefore, understanding and controlling neutron flux is essential for maintaining the safety and durability of nuclear reactors.