Sound powered phone alternative options?

In summary: The chambers we use are 100% oxygen monoplace chambers, and one thing I'm looking at is communication to the patient, one mandatory requirement as stipulated by FDA (US) and TGA (Australia) is that there can be no powered devices inside the chamber, pressurized air chambers with oxygen masks are allowed basic low wattage speakers. So the solution has been to use sound powered phones, exactly the same thing submarines use when they go silent. Below is the receiver and communicator that sits on the outside, now this design is different in the fact that it transmits vibrations to a magnet speaker that is directly screwed to the chamber hull
stoney85
Hi, a recent career path change has put me to work with Hyperbaric Chambers, I'll be assisting in design changes, maintenance side of things, and so on.

The chambers we use are 100% oxygen monoplace chambers, and one thing I'm looking at is communication to the patient, one mandatory requirement as stipulated by FDA (US) and TGA (Australia) is that there can be no powered devices inside the chamber, pressurized air chambers with oxygen masks are allowed basic low wattage speakers.

So the solution has been to use sound powered phones, exactly the same thing submarines use when they go silent
http://www.amronintl.com/model-h203-01-sound-powered-phone-with-male-audio-plug.html

Below is the receiver and communicator that sits on the outside, now this design is different in the fact that it transmits vibrations to a magnet speaker that is directly screwed to the chamber hull itself, (which is a 5/8" thick stainless steel vessel) and turns the hull into the speaker
http://www.amronintl.com/amron-international-single-lock-chamber-communicator.html

The chambers don't really need the communications, as you can just raise your voice slightly more and can still be heard fine through the hull, plus the view ports also allow visual communication, but its a nice ability to have

What I'm interested to find out is what other possible options are available or could be used, we need something that can be tapped into an external microphone/speaker setup, be used for a DVD player that sits on a hull window and so on.

Something like this for example, the boombox V3 http://wowzer.com.au/boombox-v3 is a vibration speaker, so I am assuming works on the same principal as the communicator.

I'm only seeing what else is available as what is currently on there is over 20 years old in design, I guess though there isn't much technological advancement with sound powered devices though.

Look forward to hearing from the much more knowledgeable people than myself

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a friend attend some hyperbaric treatments and his complaint was the choice of music and the fact that he couldn't control the volume... So you want to factor that into your design personalized music...

Customer comfort is a priority, what usually happens is a TV screen is placed over one of the port windows for the customer to watch whatever they chose, that or they sleep or read for the 90 mins.

Control from inside the chamber would present some problems, purely for the safety reasons stipulated by FDA regarding an Oxygen pressure vessel, no flamables, no electrics, etc

In my friends case, I got the feeling that there was another couple of patients in the chamber and so he had less control.

Perhaps you could design a stethoscope-like device with earmuffs that can pickup localized vibrations.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mandolin-Sensor-transducer-Pickup-internal-Mount-w-1-4-Single-Audio-Endpin-Jack-/350622875317?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item51a2c07eb5

Would something like this work?

Might buy one and try it out, theyre designed more for guitars and musical instruments, but maybe a few of these linked into an amplifier output might work, the only issue is i can think of is that there would be next to no vibrations from a human voice in a thousand kilo 15mm thick stainless steel walled chamber

1. What is a sound powered phone and how does it work?

A sound powered phone is a communication device that uses sound waves to transmit and receive audio signals. It works by converting the user's voice into sound waves, which are then amplified and transmitted through a wire or cable to the receiving end. The receiver's voice is also converted into sound waves and transmitted back to the sender, allowing for two-way communication.

2. What are the advantages of using a sound powered phone?

One of the main advantages of using a sound powered phone is that it does not require any external power source, such as electricity or batteries. This makes it a reliable option in emergency situations or remote locations where traditional communication methods may not be available. Additionally, sound powered phones are durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions, making them suitable for use in marine and military settings.

3. Are there any limitations to using a sound powered phone?

While sound powered phones have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They have a limited range of communication, usually up to a few miles, and can be affected by interference from other sound sources. They also require the user to speak loudly and clearly for effective communication, which may not be possible in noisy environments.

4. What are some alternative options to sound powered phones?

Some alternative options to sound powered phones include traditional landline phones, cell phones, satellite phones, and voice over internet protocol (VoIP) phones. These options may offer longer range, clearer audio quality, and more features, but they also require a power source and may not be as reliable in certain situations.

5. How can I choose the best sound powered phone for my needs?

The best sound powered phone for your needs will depend on your specific requirements. Consider factors such as range, durability, and ease of use when selecting a sound powered phone. It may also be beneficial to read reviews and compare different models before making a decision.