If 0<x<y and 0<a<b then ax<yb proof.

• Thread starter skippenmydesig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, we need to prove that if 0<x<y and 0<a<b, then ax<yb. This can be done by using the axioms for real numbers, including the ones about addition and multiplication, and the theorem that states that for all a,b,c, if a<b and c>0, then ac<bc. By using these tools, we can show that ax<yb holds true.
skippenmydesig
I need to prove that If 0<x<y and 0<a<b then ax<yb. I've been stuck going in circles for a while now and think I'm missing something really obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you able to write down any "interesting" inequalities given 0<x<y and 0<a<b?

Are you looking for a formal proof, or do you simply need to explain why that is the case?

I think I'm supposed to be able to do it off the definition we have of x<y mean y-x is positive. So I was able to easily do 0<x<y and 0<a<b mean x+a<y+b. I've tried writing everything I can think of that follows from multiplying various ways but I can't seem to get just ax or yb without something on the otherside messing it up.

I need the formal proof. It's easy enough to know intuitively but I can't seem to find what's going to make it work for the proof.

The first thing you need to know is that there are only three axioms that involve the inequality in the definition of the real numbers. The one about least upper bounds is irrelevant. The other two look like this:

(1) If x<y then x+z<y+z.
(2) If x>0 and y>0, then xy>0.

Edit: I fixed the typo in (1).

Last edited:
Do you mean for (1) If x<y then x+z<y+z?

If so I've been using both of those and we were told we can use anything else we've already proved as well. I still don't see a way to get the ax<by using just those two axioms or the other properties we have.

I would assume that z > 0 and try axiom 2.

Yes, you only need axiom 2, if you're allowed to use elementary theorems like 1>0. Here's a hint: Consider y/x.

Sorry about the typo in axiom 1. I have edited it now.

We have not defined division so I don't know for sure I could use y/x. I know that ax>0 and by>0 by closure under addition for positive numbers. But I still can't find a way to link ax and yb so that ax<yb.

By knowing ay-ax is positive and by-bx is positive is there a way to add/multiply that is going to show yb-xa is positive?

Nope, I'm still going in circles :(

skippenmydesig said:
We have not defined division so I don't know for sure I could use y/x.
Is there no list of axioms for real numbers in your book? The axioms that define the real numbers include division (by saying that every real number other than 0 has a multiplicative inverse). The axioms for addition and multiplication (including the one about multiplicative inverses) would typically be covered before the axioms that involve the order relation.

Even if you think that you aren't allowed to use that x>0 implies the existence of 1/x, you should still try to solve the problem this way. Then you will at least have found a proof. (And I still think that this is how you're supposed to do it).

We have but since we are working in only the positive natural numbers for these proofs there are no multiplicative inverses. So far I know the relations ax<ay and bx<by hold. As does ax+bx<ay+by. I've been trying to find a way to add/multiply them so that I can find one that will show ax<by.

Would this be reasonable: Since a<b mean b-a is positive then x(b-a)<y(b-a) by axiom. then I get xb-xa<yb-ya then because of this definition of < and the face all the terms are positive get xa<xb<ya<yb and from there that xa<yb.

You say that xa<yb follows from xa<xb<ya<yb, but why is xb<ya?

A minor issue in the first line of your proof: The intermediate result x(b-a)<y(b-a) doesn't follow immediately from the axioms. There's no axiom that says that you can multiply both sides of an inequality by a positive number. But it's easy to prove this theorem: For all a,b,c, if a<b and c>0, then ac<bc.

Fredrik said:
There's no axiom that says that you can multiply both sides of an inequality by a positive number. But it's easy to prove this theorem: For all a,b,c, if a<b and c>0, then ac<bc.
I found a simple proof of the theorem you're trying to prove that uses only 0<x<y, 0<a<b and the theorem I mentioned in the quote. I had to use the theorem more than once.

Last edited:
That is probably a poor way to do it, but here is what I would have done with that problem. First rewrite it in this form:
[itex]x<y[/itex], [itex]a<b[/itex], where x,y,a,b are positive; Prove [itex]by-ax>0[/itex]
Let's introduce a function [itex]f(y,b)=by-ax[/itex]. We can say that:
[tex]
\lim_{y\rightarrow x, b\rightarrow a} {f(y,b)}=0
[/tex]
Then let's increase y by a positive constant C:
[tex]
\lim_{y\rightarrow x, b\rightarrow a} {f(y+C,b)}=bC>0
[/tex]
Do the same for b:
[tex]
\lim_{y\rightarrow x, b\rightarrow a} {f(y,b+C)}=Cy>0
[/tex]
So for any positive value of [itex]y>x[/itex] and [itex]b>a[/itex] we have proven that [itex]by-ax>0[/itex].

1. What is the purpose of proving the statement "ax

The purpose of proving this statement is to show that when two sets of numbers, (0,x) and (0,y), are multiplied by two other sets of numbers, (0,a) and (0,b), the product of the first set will always be less than the product of the second set. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How can the statement "0

The statement "0

3. What is the significance of the conditions "0

The conditions "0

4. Can this statement be proven using mathematical induction?

Yes, this statement can be proven using mathematical induction. Induction is a method of mathematical proof that involves proving that a statement is true for a specific case (usually the base case) and then showing that if the statement is true for that case, it must also be true for the next case. In this case, the base case would be when x=0 and a=0, and the next case would be when x>0 and a>0.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this statement?

Yes, this statement has many real-world applications. One example is in the field of physics, where it can be used to prove the relationship between the time and distance traveled by an object with a constant speed. It can also be used in economics to show the relationship between supply and demand, as well as in engineering for calculating the strength of materials under different loads and conditions.