Fluids with high expansion ratios that do not leave the liquid state

In summary, Jacob is looking for a fluid with a high expansion ratio that can remain in a liquid state. He is interested in using heat or electricity to cause the fluid to expand and contract, and hopes to find a fluid that can create a vacuum while contracting at low temperatures. He acknowledges his limited knowledge in this area and thanks for any help. A potential solution could be ferroelectric nanofluids, which have uses in piezoelectric and electro-optic applications.
jayhemm
Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of research looking for a fluid that has a high expansion ratio that does not leave the liquid state.

the idea is that the fluid could either:

- using heat will expand and contract using hot and cold cycles
- using electricity (not necessarily needing heat) to expand then contract by itself or by de-energizing the fluid
- a fluid while contracting will create a great amount of vacuum. (preferably able to do at low temps, around room temperature)

Please excuse my lack of terminology, I'm working off of my basic knowledge from high school chem and physics

Thank you for your help in advance guys.

-Jacob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at this:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/cttc/technology/ferroelectric-nanofluids-piezoelectric-and-electro-optic-uses

1. What are some examples of fluids with high expansion ratios that do not leave the liquid state?

Some examples include water, glycerin, and silicone oil.

2. How is the expansion ratio of a fluid determined?

The expansion ratio of a fluid is determined by dividing the volume of the expanded fluid by the initial volume of the fluid.

3. What causes a fluid to have a high expansion ratio without changing states?

This is usually due to the structure and arrangement of molecules in the fluid, which allows for increased expansion without reaching the boiling point.

4. Are there any practical applications for fluids with high expansion ratios that do not leave the liquid state?

Yes, these types of fluids are commonly used in thermometers and other temperature measuring devices, as well as in hydraulic systems.

5. Can a fluid with a high expansion ratio eventually change states if exposed to extreme conditions?

Yes, if a fluid with a high expansion ratio is exposed to extreme temperatures or pressures, it is possible for it to change states and become a gas or solid.