General Discussion: Mouse Trap Car Pulling Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a mouse trap car with limited resources and goals of maximizing distance and speed while minimizing weight. The proposed design includes a 2 axle setup with larger wheels in the front and smaller in the back, as well as a "yo-yo" motion mechanism using a string tied to the metal clamp on the trap. The speaker suggests going with a long body for better wheel alignment and using an inelastic string or wire to prevent energy loss. They also mention the importance of designing other parts of the car well for optimal performance.
Facerollmage
If you were limited to only using a single mouse trap and cheap raw materials from a local craft store, how would you design a "mouse trap car" to pull a mass of 200g (soda can w/mass)?

I'm looking to maximize the mouse traps distance traveled and speed.
I'm looking to minimize the weight of the total system.

I was thinking of a 2 axle setup with larger wheels in the front and smaller in the back to prevent lift when it accelerates. For the motion mechanism I am leaning towards a "yo-yo" effect on the wheels that when the trap goes off, a string that is tied to the metal clamp on the trap unravels the string tied around the wheels.

I'm currently testing new ideas and trying to optimize as much as possible.

How would you design a mouse trap car to achieve the previous stated goals or how would you better the design that I am leaning towards?

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a fun project. I'm assuming some sort of college intro to eng. project?

I'd probably go with a long body so wheel alignment isn't quite so critical, that way the car will be less likely to turn. I think the yo yo type of mechanism is also good, that's how most (if not all) people will probably do it. There are other ways to do it, but I think they would be not worth the effort. I think in this project, the things that will make one car stand out over the other is not going to be how the potential energy from the spring is converted to rotational energy, but rather, how well other parts of the car are designed (low weight, drives straight, low friction in axle bearings, etc). Although there is one exception I possibly see. Are you allowed to disassemble the mouse trap? If you are, then you should make sure to do that so you can bend the spring farther back and get more energy out of it.

Also, I'd use as inelastic of a string as possible, maybe even some sort of wire, because you don't want to lose energy by stretching the string (even if only by a little)

1. What is a mouse trap car?

A mouse trap car is a small vehicle that is powered by the energy of a mouse trap spring. The spring is attached to an axle and when the trap is triggered, it causes the wheels to turn and move the car forward.

2. How does a mouse trap car work?

A mouse trap car works by converting the potential energy stored in the spring of a mouse trap into kinetic energy. As the trap is triggered, the spring expands and pulls the string or axle attached to it, causing the wheels of the car to turn and move forward.

3. What materials are needed to build a mouse trap car?

The materials needed to build a mouse trap car include a mouse trap, wooden or plastic wheels, a string, a sturdy base, and any additional materials for decoration or support. You may also need tools such as scissors and glue for assembly.

4. How can I improve the pulling mass of my mouse trap car?

To improve the pulling mass of your mouse trap car, you can adjust the placement of the wheels and string to create a more efficient pulley system. Additionally, using lighter materials for the body of the car and reducing friction between the wheels and axles can also increase the pulling mass.

5. What are some common challenges when building a mouse trap car?

Some common challenges when building a mouse trap car include getting the correct ratio of string to wheel size, finding the right placement of the wheels to maximize efficiency, and ensuring the car is balanced and doesn't tip over. It may also take several tries to get the trap to trigger properly and consistently.