Current capacity of a conductor?

In summary, the current capacity of a conductor is determined by thermal limitations, as the resistance of the cable increases with temperature. The maximum temperature permitted is set by the failure of electrical or thermal insulation. Electrical or thermal insulation can also reduce cooling and decrease the current capacity. For AC transmission, the skin effect is a limiting factor, requiring conductors to be made of a bundle of small wires or a hollow wire. Tables and guidelines are available to determine the current ratings for different wire sizes, but the theoretical calculation of maximum carrying capacity depends on various factors such as material, ambient temperature, and proximity to other wires.
Dash-IQ
What determines the current capacity of a conductor? How can I know the maximum current, any conductor can carry safely, over shot or long durations of time.

Example:

A conductor that is 1m long, 0.00025m wide, and about 0.003m thick is used to deliver power continuously in a system. How much power can it deliver continuously without causing any problems(fusing)?
I know there is a difference if its DC or AC, how different? And if the resistance in my example is 0.3Ohms, how does that help finding the current capacity?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The limiting factor on cable current is thermal. The resistance of the cable rises proportional to absolute temperature, that will give a voltage drop proportional to temperature. The power lost as heat in the cable is W = I2 * R.

At high temperatures the electrical insulation will fail physically or electrically. That will set the maximum temperature permitted.

Electrical or thermal insulation is a problem because it reduces cooling. Free or forced airflow to cool the conductor increases current capacity.

Dash-IQ said:
What determines the current capacity of a conductor? How can I know the maximum current, any conductor can carry safely, over shot or long durations of time.

Example:

A conductor that is 1m long, 0.00025m wide, and about 0.003m thick is used to deliver power continuously in a system. How much power can it deliver continuously without causing any problems(fusing)?
I know there is a difference if its DC or AC, how different? And if the resistance in my example is 0.3Ohms, how does that help finding the current capacity?
There is a limiting factor for AC in high voltage transmission called the skin effect. It's why our conductors are made of a bundle of small wires instead of one larger one; in some cases a hollow wire can be used. The most common type of cables are those with Aluminum conductors and reinforced in the center by steel.

Here's a short wiki article about the skin effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

There should be a table somewhere in the IEEE guidelines that gives the current ratings for the respective wire sizes. It will be different for AC and DC.
Here's an American gauge guideline for copper wire.
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

So far as how you'd go about figuring the max. carrying capacity of a wire theoretically, I don't know exactly. I know it would change with material, ambient temperature, proximity to other wires. The main limiting factor will be thermal since resistance in a cable will rise with temperature. (this is fun fact I learned in semi-cond. dev. :smile: )

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
-Tyler.

Last edited:

Related to Current capacity of a conductor?

1. What is current capacity?

The current capacity of a conductor refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that can flow through it without causing damage or overheating.

2. How is current capacity determined?

The current capacity of a conductor is determined by its physical properties, such as its size, material, and temperature. It is also affected by the type of circuit and the electrical load being carried.

3. Why is it important to know the current capacity of a conductor?

Knowing the current capacity of a conductor is important to ensure the safe and efficient operation of electrical circuits. Exceeding the current capacity can result in overheating, which can cause damage to the conductor and potentially start a fire.

4. How does the length of a conductor affect its current capacity?

The longer the conductor, the higher its resistance and the lower its current capacity. This is because a longer conductor has more material for the current to pass through, resulting in more resistance and heat buildup.

5. Can the current capacity of a conductor be increased?

Yes, the current capacity of a conductor can be increased by using a larger size or higher quality material. However, it is important to note that the overall circuit design and load must also be taken into consideration when increasing the current capacity of a conductor.