Proving Limit of f:R->R Exists at All Points

• Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a function f:R->R has a limit at all points, given that it satisfies f(x+y)=f(x)f(y) for all x,y in R and has a limit at 0. The participants suggest using differentiation and the fact that f must be an exponential function or identically 0 or 1. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding d and e values to satisfy the limit definition.
Icebreaker
Let f:R->R satisfy f(x+y)=f(x)f(y) for all x,y in R. Suppose f has a limit at 0, prove that f has a limit at all points.

f could be either an exponential function which base is non-zero, or identically 0 or 1. Of course, this can't serve to prove anything unless I can prove that f cannot be anything else.

f(x)=f(0+x)=f(0)f(x). If f isn't identically 0, then f(0)=1. However I fail to see how the limit of f at 0 can help me.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's an obvious choice for what the limit should be at x? I'll denote it as Lx, although you should be able to figure out what it should be. What you need to prove is:

for all x, there exists Lx such that for all e > 0, there exists d > 0 such that for all y satisfying 0 < |x-y| < d, the following holds:

|f(y) - Lx| < e

Note that y = (x-y) + x

Also note that you know that:

There exists L0 such that for all e > 0, there exists d > 0 such that for all h satisfying 0 < |h| < d, the following holds:

|f(h) - L0| < e

Hope this helps...

Try differentiating f(x), say

[tex]f^{\prime}(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h) -f(x)}{h}=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x)f(h) -f(x)}{h}=f(x)\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(h) -1}{h}=f(x)\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(h) -f(0)}{h}=f(x)f^{\prime}(0)[/tex]

so that if f is differentiable at 0, then you have earned your self a handy differential equation from which to prove that f must be an exponential.
But I am tired... hope I helped.

-Ben

AKG said:
Note that y = (x-y) + x

Do you mean y=(y-x)+x?

benorin said:
a handy differential equation

I haven't done differential equations in analysis. The last time I used something ahead in my proof, I got the comment "Please prove _______ if you use it at this level". Not sure I want to do that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Icebreaker said:
Do you mean y=(y-x)+x?
Yes. Can you see what to do with it?

f(y) = f(y-x)f(x).

Let h = y-x. |f(h)f(x)-Lx|<e whenever 0<|h|<d. But isn't the existence of Lx the very question I have to solve?

Nevermind, I got it. Thanks for the help.

Related to Proving Limit of f:R->R Exists at All Points

1. What is the definition of a limit for a function f:R->R?

A limit for a function f:R->R is the value that the function approaches as the input variable (x) approaches a certain value. It is a way of describing the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do you prove that a limit of a function f:R->R exists at a specific point?

To prove that a limit of a function f:R->R exists at a specific point, you must show that the function approaches the same value from both the left and right sides of the point. This can be done through various methods such as the epsilon-delta definition or using the squeeze theorem.

3. What is the importance of proving the existence of a limit for a function f:R->R?

Proving the existence of a limit for a function f:R->R is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and how it approaches a certain value. It also allows us to make predictions and approximations for the function's output at a specific point.

4. Can a limit of a function f:R->R exist at all points?

No, a limit of a function f:R->R may not exist at all points. There are certain points where the function may have a discontinuity, meaning that it does not approach a single value from both sides. In these cases, the limit does not exist at that point.

5. How does proving the existence of a limit for a function f:R->R relate to continuity?

Proving the existence of a limit for a function f:R->R is a key step in determining if a function is continuous at a certain point. A function is continuous if and only if its limit exists at that point and is equal to the function's value at that point.