Struggling with a second-order differential equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of showing how the equation for simple harmonic motion is derived, using the variables x, t, k, m, A, and b. The speaker is seeking help to check their work and find the correct approach, as they want their proof to be rigorous. The conversation also touches on the use of trigonometric functions and the concepts of initial conditions and general solutions for differential equations.
tomfitzyuk
Hey,

For my Physics coursework I'm trying to show how the equation to describe simple harmonic motion, this is where I'm up to now:
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4153/untitled8ph.jpg

x displacement;
t is time;
k is spring constant;
m is mass.

A is an unknown constant;
b is an unknown constant.

Could somebody check through my working, see if I've gone wrong and hopefully point me in the right direction as to what to do (I've tried respresting the function of e in terms of trigonometric functions but this never made sense.)

Thanks,
Tom

PS. I know it's possible, from the differential equation given, to solve it straight off using the method by assuming it's a quadratic (or something similar) but I want this proof to be rigourous and therefore everything (to some degree) must be explained by me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked the solution? Does it satisfy the original DE?

EDIT: Just realized that you do not have a complete statement of the DE. What are your initial conditions?

Last edited:
You have correctly determined that [itex]Ae^{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}it}[/itex]
and [itex]Be^{-/sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}it}[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation. However, you have no reason to assert that
[tex]Ae^{\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}it}-A\frac{k}{m}e^{-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}it}= 0[/tex]. Use those two solutions to form the general solution to the differential equation. Do you know how to do that?

Also do you know that [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex]?

Just realized that you do not have a complete statement of the DE. What are your initial conditions?
Not sure what you mean by initial conditions and having a complete statement of the DE.

HallsofIvy said:
You have correctly determined that [itex]Ae^{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}it}[/itex]
and [itex]Be^{-/sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}it}[/itex] are solutions to the differential equation. However, you have no reason to assert that
[tex]Ae^{\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}it}-A\frac{k}{m}e^{-\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}it}= 0[/tex]. Use those two solutions to form the general solution to the differential equation. Do you know how to do that?
Also do you know that [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex]?

I don't know what you mean by the general solution the differential equation, I haven't started University and my knowledge of differential equations is limited to first-order differential equations.

I know that [itex]e^{ix} = cos(x) + i sin(x)[/itex] which I've tried to use but failed. I end up with an imaginary part which doesn't make sense.

Thanks.
Tom.

Initial conditions are usually given values of a function evaluated at a specific point.
For example, given:
y(0) = 3pi
y'(0) = 2
That would transform your problem into an initial-value problem, and you'll end up with a solution particular, i.e. satisfying specifically, to/for your differential equation.

A general solution is pretty much a solution for your differential equation, but not limited to that differential equation; i.e. it could have constants, like the A and B, and thus satisfy many differential equations.

I suggest you read up on http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/AllBrowsers/3401/3401.asp if you feel that your knowledge is somewhat lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a second-order differential equation?

A second-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used to model systems in physics, engineering, and other sciences.

2. Why is it difficult to solve second-order differential equations?

Solving second-order differential equations can be difficult because they often require advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration, substitution, and series solutions. They also have multiple possible solutions, making it challenging to determine the most appropriate one for a given problem.

3. What are some real-life applications of second-order differential equations?

Second-order differential equations have many real-life applications, including modeling the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, and the flow of electricity in an electrical circuit. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry.

4. Can technology be used to solve second-order differential equations?

Yes, technology can be used to solve second-order differential equations. Many mathematical software programs, such as MATLAB and Mathematica, have built-in functions for solving these types of equations. Additionally, graphing calculators and online solvers can also help with finding numerical or approximate solutions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of solving second-order differential equations?

To improve your understanding of solving second-order differential equations, it is essential to have a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of equations and to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, reading textbooks and online resources can provide additional explanations and examples to aid in understanding.