1.21 Proof Rudin Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Uniqueness of the n-roots in R

In summary, Rudin proves that the n-root is unique on the real numbers if and only if both $y^n < 0$ and $y^n > 0$ lead to a contradiction.

help with rudin 1.21 PoMA

• help! rudin 1.21

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • help! rudin 1.21

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
josueortega
Hi!

I need some help here, please.

In Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Rudin prove the uniqueness of the n-root on the real numbers. For doing so, he prove that both $y^n < 0$ and that $y^n > 0$ lead to a contradiction.

In the first part of the proof, he chooses a value $h$ such that
1. $0<h<1$
2 $h<\frac{x-y^n}{n(y+1)^(n-1)}$

My question is: how does he know such a value $h$ exists?

I know this value is positive, but I am not sure how to prove is less than 1.

To add some context:
x is a real positive number
n is a integer positive number
y is a real positive number

If someone can help me with this, I will be very grateful!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Even if it is not less than 1 , you still can choose h less than this fraction and in the same time 0<h<1.

Don't get it. How can it be not less than 1, and at the same time, less than one?

I think the more likely answers are that:

1) No need to prove the existence of h
2) There is something I'm missing about y=sup E, where E is the set all positive real numbers t, such that t^n<x

By the way, perhaps I am not writing correctly the equations so that they show clearly in latex style.

I have Rudin at my hand now, so no source of confusion. My understanding is the following:
Given any F>0 (which is the fraction you wrote above), it is possible to choose h such that :
0 < h < 1 < F (in case 1<F)
or
0 < h < F <1 (in case F<1)

In other words all what you need is to make sure that the fraction is greater than zero which is actually the case here.

Thanks. I am trying to get it now. But the fraction I wrote above is h, NOT x.

The fraction is NEITHER x NOR h. I edited my post and renamed it F as I realized calling it x is a bad idea.

F= (x-yn)/n(y+1)n-1
and F>0

Thank you.

Related to 1.21 Proof Rudin Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Uniqueness of the n-roots in R

1. What is the significance of the uniqueness of n-roots in R?

The uniqueness of n-roots in R is important because it ensures that every positive real number has exactly one positive n-th root. This allows us to define and use functions such as the square root and cube root, which are essential in various fields of mathematics and science.

2. How is the uniqueness of n-roots in R proven?

The uniqueness of n-roots in R is proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem and the Monotone Convergence Theorem. This involves showing that the function f(x) = x^n is continuous and strictly increasing on the interval [0,∞), and therefore has a unique root for every positive value of n.

3. Can the uniqueness of n-roots in R be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the uniqueness of n-roots in R can be extended to complex numbers. This is because every complex number can be represented as a combination of its modulus (magnitude) and argument (angle). Therefore, the uniqueness of n-roots in R can be applied to the modulus of a complex number, and the argument can be used to determine the direction of the root.

4. How does the uniqueness of n-roots in R relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra?

The uniqueness of n-roots in R is a crucial component of the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every non-constant polynomial with complex coefficients has at least one complex root. This is because the theorem relies on the existence and uniqueness of n-roots in R.

5. Are there any exceptions to the uniqueness of n-roots in R?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the uniqueness of n-roots in R. These include the cases of n being even and the root being negative, which results in imaginary roots. Additionally, when n is irrational, there may be multiple roots for a given number. However, for all practical purposes, the uniqueness of n-roots in R holds true.