One-dimensional steady state conduction in Cylindrical coordinates

In summary, The problem involves determining the temperature distribution inside a cylindrical fuel with given dimensions and heat generation rate. Using a differential equation and boundary condition, the temperature at the axis is found to be finite and c1 is set to zero to satisfy the physical requirements.
Hannibal247
Hello,
Im having some issues with my task.

1. Homework Statement

The heat generation rate of a cylindrical fuel (D=0.2 m and 1 m long) is 160 kW.
The thermal conductivity of the fuel is 100 W/mK and its surface temperature is
maintained at 283 K. Determine the temperature at the axis.

Homework Equations

I tried to use this equation: 0=(1/r)*(d/dr)*(r*dT/dr)+q/k and I've added the volume to it
--> 0=(1/r)*(d/dr)*(r*dT/dr)+q/(k*V)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

im getting this at the end: T(r)=-1/4*q/(kV)*r2 + c1*ln(r) + c2
i wanted to use the boundary condition that for r=0 ---> T=283K, but i can't type ln(0) into my calculator.
I don't know how to go on. Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Temperature has to be finite everywhere. Therefore c1 = 0

Likes Hannibal247
Henryk said:
Temperature has to be finite everywhere. Therefore c1 = 0
ok thank you very much. i understand why the temperature has to be everywhere finite, but why does it make c1=0? how is the relation to that?
best regards

because ln(r) diverges at r = 0, that's you have to reject this solution, i.e. set c1 to zero. It does satisfy the differential equation but it is not physical. It is actually very common practice in physics to reject solutions that satisfy mathematics but are not physically correct

Likes Hannibal247

1. What is one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates?

One-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates is a concept in heat transfer that describes the transfer of heat through a cylindrical object, such as a pipe or rod, where the temperature does not vary with time.

2. How is heat transferred in one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates?

Heat is transferred in one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates through conduction, where thermal energy is transferred from a higher temperature region to a lower temperature region.

3. What is the governing equation for one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates?

The governing equation for one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates is the cylindrical form of Fourier's law, which states that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature gradient in the direction of heat flow.

4. What are the boundary conditions for one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates?

The boundary conditions for one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates are the temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces of the cylindrical object, as well as any heat sources or sinks within the object.

5. How is one-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates applied in real-world scenarios?

One-dimensional steady state conduction in cylindrical coordinates is commonly used in the design and analysis of heat exchangers, pipes, and other cylindrical objects in various engineering applications, such as in the oil and gas industry, thermal power plants, and refrigeration systems.