1 example of information system in real life?

In summary: The ATM is microprocessor-based, but it's connected to 'information systems' that can check and update an account balance.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
example of IS
Relevant Equations
none
I am studying IS but I am yet to find an example of IS. Is database IS? Is expert system IS? What is example of IS?

And this question came to me while studying about this issue-:
is security policy same as security methods? justify your argument with appropriate example of Information system implementation scenario. I want 1 information system implementation scenario for this question so this question came to me. Can you tell me where is IS used? is it just a db?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is IS instrumentation system? Microprocessor based instrumentation? What is it?

Did you look up 'information systems', as in your thread title?

Likes shivajikobardan
yes

Presumably, then, you know that, e.g., an ATM transaction includes information system interaction ##-## the 'information system' does the 'data processing', and it includes the IO device (ATM terminal) that provides the user interaction interface.

Likes PeroK
sysprog said:
Presumably, then, you know that, e.g., an ATM transaction includes information system interaction ##-## the 'information system' does the 'data processing', and it includes the IO device (ATM terminal) that provides the user interaction interface.
isn't that microprocessor based system?

shivajikobardan said:
isn't that microprocessor based system?
The ATM is microprocessor-based, but it's connected to 'information systems' that can check and update an account balance.

From https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272778805_Information_Management_and_Valuation:

1646131471310.png

• Informative
Likes shivajikobardan
The information system holds data, in a database. So to use an ATM, for example, the machine contacts your credit card company or your bank, checks that you have a balance that allows you to take money out (not exceeded your monthly limit on a credit card, or have not gone overdrawn on your bank account) and checks that the card hasn't been reported as stolen. Reports back the remaining balance in the bank sometimes. This data is held in an information system.

An online database I wrote contained the members of a club, some limited details about them and gave them access to read how much flying they had down, to show them how much they owed in flying fees, and to see if they were in credit or debt after their last payment (the system showed an extract from the master database in the office, and didn't give them any way to edit things).

So information systems contain information, and displays it on request. Some let you edit things, others do not.

Likes sysprog
We are all using an IS here!

Likes sysprog and hutchphd

1. What is an information system?

An information system is a set of interconnected components that work together to collect, process, store, and distribute information to support decision-making and control in an organization.

2. Can you give an example of an information system in real life?

An example of an information system in real life is a customer relationship management (CRM) system used by a company to manage and analyze customer interactions and data throughout the customer lifecycle.

3. How does an information system improve efficiency in an organization?

An information system improves efficiency in an organization by automating processes, reducing manual work, and providing real-time access to data and information for decision-making.

4. What are the components of an information system?

The components of an information system include hardware (computers, servers, etc.), software (applications and programs), data (raw facts and figures), people (users and stakeholders), and processes (procedures and workflows).

5. How does an information system impact decision-making in an organization?

An information system impacts decision-making in an organization by providing timely and accurate data and information, facilitating communication and collaboration among stakeholders, and enabling analysis and forecasting to support strategic decision-making.