Dynamic Systems: Question about Isoclines of Systems

In summary, the isocline is the set of points on the graph where the solution curves have a fixed slope.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Compute the isocline of the following system.
Relevant Equations
N/A
Hi,

I was doing some practice problems online for dynamical systems and came across the following question about isoclines. It left me with 2 questions that I hoping to get some insight to.

Question:
What are isoclines? (I have tried doing an internet search, but the results don't help me)
2. How can we calculate the isoclines?

Example:
Imagine we have the following dynamical system:
[tex] \dot x_1 =x_2 - x_2 ^3 [/tex]
[tex] \dot x_2 = -x_1 - x_2 ^2 [/tex]

Compute the isoclines of the system.

Attempt:
The solution simply does:
[tex] \frac{d x_2}{d x_1} = \frac{\dot x_2}{\dot x_1} = \frac{-x_1 - x_2 ^2}{x_2 - x_2 ^3} [/tex]

and then evaluates different cases based on values. However, I don't quite understand why we are doing this method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An isocline is defined to be the set of points on the ##(x_1,x_2)## graph where the solution curves have a fixed slope. For example, find all the points such that the solution going through that point has a slope of 2.

The slope in general is ## d x_2 / dx_1## which is why they computed that value.

• Informative
Likes Master1022
Office_Shredder said:
An isocline is defined to be the set of points on the ##(x_1,x_2)## graph where the solution curves have a fixed slope. For example, find all the points such that the solution going through that point has a slope of 2.

The slope in general is ## d x_2 / dx_1## which is why they computed that value.
Thanks @Office_Shredder ! That makes sense. Just to check my understanding, does that mean that if we wanted to, for example find all the points that have a slope of ## k## then we would solve the equation below?
[tex] k = \frac{-x_1 - x_2 ^2}{x_2 - x_2 ^3} [/tex]

This would result in the curve/etc. of those points

That's right. The idea of these is if you draw some of them for different ks, then when you try to draw a solution curve, you know what the approximate slope is in each section of the plane.

Likes Master1022
Office_Shredder said:
That's right. The idea of these is if you draw some of them for different ks, then when you try to draw a solution curve, you know what the approximate slope is in each section of the plane.
Many thanks! Really appreciate the help. Will have a think about it and have another go at the question

1. What are isoclines in dynamic systems?

Isoclines in dynamic systems are curves that represent the set of points where the derivatives of two variables are equal. They are used to visualize the behavior of a system and identify equilibrium points.

2. How are isoclines used to analyze dynamic systems?

Isoclines are used to analyze dynamic systems by plotting them on a phase plane. This allows us to see how the system's variables change over time and identify any equilibrium points or limit cycles.

3. Can isoclines intersect in a dynamic system?

Yes, isoclines can intersect in a dynamic system. When they intersect, it indicates that the system is in equilibrium, meaning that the values of the variables are not changing over time.

4. What is the significance of isoclines in the study of dynamic systems?

Isoclines are significant in the study of dynamic systems because they provide a visual representation of the system's behavior. They allow us to analyze the system's stability, identify equilibrium points, and predict the long-term behavior of the system.

5. How do isoclines relate to the concept of stability in dynamic systems?

Isoclines are closely related to stability in dynamic systems. When isoclines intersect, it indicates that the system is in equilibrium, which means it is stable. The slope of the isoclines also provides information about the system's stability, with steeper slopes indicating higher instability.