10Hz High Pass filter with Matlab

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of reproducing a human finger pressing a keyboard using a shaker and foam rubber fingertip. The force gage used to measure the force history has an offset, and a possible solution is to filter the signal with a high pass filter. The code for creating such a filter using MATLAB is also provided, with some suggestions on how to adjust the parameters. Other potential solutions are also discussed, such as using the "butter" command.
leonpolou
Hi everyone,

here is the problem:
I am trying to reproduce a human finger while pressing a keyboard.
I am using a shaker and a fingertip made of foam rubber. To measure the force history, a force gage make a link between the fingertip and the shaker.
The fact is the curve has an offset and I try to know why.

A solution might be that we use the force gage at a 5.8Hz and that material is usully use with frequency upper than 10 Hz.
To solve that problem a basic solution would be to filter the signal recorded with an high pass filter.
Actually I really don't know how to do it.

here is my code on matlab
f=10; %Cut off frequency%
fs=42000; %resolution frequency%
w=f/(fs/2); % frequency normalized%
N=100; &filter order%
b=fir1(N,w,'high');
figure(1);
freqz(b,1,42000,fs); % we see how the filter look like%
y=fftfilt(b,X1(1:65536,2));
figure(2);
plot(X1(1:65536,1),y,'r',X1(1:65536,1),X1(1:65536,2))

First, how do you think is it possible to make a 10Hz high pass filter with matlab

Second, if you have some idea to solve my problem while using other thing than filter the signal, that would be a pleasure for me.

Regards
jeremy

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the MATLAB command fir1(), but here are some thoughts:

100 is a pretty high order for a filter. I would recommend starting with N = 1 and step up one order at a time until you get something you like. High orders might tend to distort your data very badly.

The cutoff frequency (as interpreted by the fir1 command) is likely to be in radians/sec, not Hz. Like I said, I have no experience with this, so you should check the documentation to be sure.

Hope this helps,

Kerry

you can use butter command.

1. What is a 10Hz High Pass filter and what is it used for?

A 10Hz High Pass filter is a type of filter used in signal processing to remove low frequency components from a signal. It allows only frequencies higher than 10Hz to pass through, effectively filtering out any low frequency noise or interference. This filter is commonly used in applications where low frequency noise can affect the accuracy of the signal, such as audio processing and data analysis.

2. How does a 10Hz High Pass filter work?

A 10Hz High Pass filter works by using a combination of resistors and capacitors to create a frequency-dependent voltage divider. This allows high frequency components to pass through while blocking low frequency components. The cut-off frequency of the filter is determined by the values of the resistors and capacitors used.

3. Can I implement a 10Hz High Pass filter using Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions and tools for designing and implementing digital filters, including 10Hz High Pass filters. The "designfilt" function can be used to design a filter with specific cut-off frequencies and other parameters. The "filter" function can then be used to apply the designed filter to a signal.

4. How do I choose the right cut-off frequency for a 10Hz High Pass filter?

The cut-off frequency of a 10Hz High Pass filter should be chosen based on the specific application and the frequency range of the signal. It is important to consider the desired frequency response and the amount of noise or interference present in the signal. In general, a higher cut-off frequency will allow more high frequency components to pass through, but may also affect the desired signal.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a 10Hz High Pass filter?

One limitation of a 10Hz High Pass filter is that it can only filter out low frequency noise or interference, but it cannot remove high frequency noise. Additionally, using a high cut-off frequency can also affect the desired signal, resulting in loss of important information. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs and limitations when designing and implementing a high pass filter.