1D Kinematics: Distance between 2 cars

In summary: I was wondering if there is a more systematic way to solve this problem, instead of just guessing and checking. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where Car A is traveling a distance d behind Car B and both cars are initially traveling at the same speed of 60 ft/s. After Car B applies the brakes, Car A takes 0.75 seconds to react and decelerates at 20 ft/s2. The question is to find the initial minimum distance d between the cars to avoid a collision. The solution involves using the equations xf=xi+vo*t+(1/2)a*t2 and vf=vo+a*t to solve for the final positions of both cars after 0.75 seconds and then setting their final
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

Car A is traveling a distance d behind Car B. Initically both cars are traveling at the same speed of 60 ft/s. Suddenly Car B applies the brakes, causing Car B to decelerate at 8ft/s2. It takes the driver of Car A 0.75 seconds to react, and when she applies her brakes Car A decelerates at 20ft/s2.

What is the initial minimum distance d between the cars so as to avoid a collision?

Homework Equations

xf=xi+vo*t+(1/2)a*t2
vf=vo+a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

FIrst thing I did was solve for xf.b=0+60(0.75)+(-8*.5*0.752) = 42.75ft
Secondly, I solved for xf.a=0+60(0.75) = 45ft

So I know after 0.75 seconds, the distance d = c+2.25. Now I need to solve for c.

I know that A will continually get closer to B until their velocities are equal again so I then set vf=vo+a*t equal to each other for each car (once I found final velocity of B after 0.75 seconds) and solved for t, which was 0.5 seconds.

After that I solved xf=xi+vo*t+(1/2)a*t2 for each car again, getting Δxa=27.5, Δxb=26. 27.5-26 = c, which i then substituted in d = c + 2.25 to get the answer.

I got the right answer, but I am really unsure about the process. I thought my way through it but it was really roundabout. Is there a more logical process to solving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikstykal said:
I got the right answer, but I am really unsure about the process. I thought my way through it but it was really roundabout. Is there a more logical process to solving this?

pl. explain your doubts about your calculation .

Which part are you unsure about? Your reasoning seems solid.

Thank you for the quick reply. I feel like I was just solving things randomly, maybe it is just because this stuff is new and I don;t know exactly what I am doing yet. I wasn't confident in my approach until I got the right answer.

What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics refers to the study of motion in a straight line, without considering any forces or objects that may affect that motion.

How is distance between 2 cars calculated in 1D Kinematics?

In 1D Kinematics, the distance between 2 cars is calculated by subtracting the initial position of one car from the final position of the other car.

What factors can affect the distance between 2 cars in 1D Kinematics?

The distance between 2 cars in 1D Kinematics can be affected by the initial positions of the cars, their velocities, and any external forces acting on the cars.

Can the distance between 2 cars ever be negative in 1D Kinematics?

No, the distance between 2 cars in 1D Kinematics is always a positive value as it represents the distance between two points on a straight line.

How is the distance between 2 cars related to their velocities in 1D Kinematics?

The distance between 2 cars is directly proportional to their velocities in 1D Kinematics. This means that as the velocity of the cars increases, the distance between them also increases.