Correlation functions of quantum Ising model

In summary: In other words, the insertion of ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## in the correlation function can be understood as a transformation of the function by the operator ##i \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi_j}##.
Danny Boy
TL;DR Summary
In the referenced paper, an explanation as to how to insert $\hat{\sigma}_{j}^{z}$ into a correlation function is given. I am seeking clarity on this technical point mentioned in the paper.
I have a single technical question regarding a statement on page 7 of the paper "Dynamical quantum correlations of Ising models on an arbitrary lattice and their resilience to decoherence". The paper up until page 7 defines a general correlation function ##\mathcal{G}## of a basic quantum Ising model (with only an interaction term in the Hamiltonian). The correlation function ##\mathcal{G}## up to page 7 deals only with raising and lowering operators of the form ##\sigma^{\pm}_{j}## on sites ##j## (##\alpha_j = 0## if ##\hat{\sigma}_{j}^{\pm}## appears in the correlation function ##\mathcal{G}## and ##\alpha_j = 0## otherwise). To insert operators of the form ##\hat{\sigma}_{j}^{z}## into the correlation function ##\mathcal{G}##, the following is stated:
The insertion of an operator ##\hat{\sigma}_{j}^{z}## inside a correlation function ##\mathcal{G}##, which we denote by writing ##\mathcal{G} \mapsto \mathcal{G}^{z}_{j}##, is relatively straightforward. If ##\alpha_j = 0##, then clearly the substitution ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z} \mapsto \alpha_{j}^{z}(t)## does the trick. If ##\alpha_j = 1##, ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## can be inserted by recognizing that the variable ##\phi_j## couples to ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## as a source term, and thus the insertion of ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}(t)## is equivalent to applying ##i \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi_j}## to ##\mathcal{G}##.
Can anyone see the reasoning behind the last sentence:
If ##\alpha_j = 1##, ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## can be inserted by recognizing that the variable ##\phi_j## couples to ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## as a source term, and thus the insertion of ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}(t)## is equivalent to applying ##i \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi_j}## to ##\mathcal{G}##.

Thanks for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reasoning behind the last sentence is that the operator ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## can be inserted in the correlation function ##\mathcal{G}## by recognizing that the variable ##\phi_j## couples to ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## as a source term. This means that the insertion of ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}(t)## into the correlation function is equivalent to applying the operator ##i \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi_j}## to ##\mathcal{G}##. This is because ##i \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi_j}## is the generator of the transformation for which ##\hat{\alpha}_{j}^{z}## is the source term.

1. What is the quantum Ising model?

The quantum Ising model is a mathematical model used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of interacting quantum spins on a lattice. It is a quantum version of the classical Ising model, which is commonly used to study phase transitions in materials.

2. What are correlation functions in the quantum Ising model?

Correlation functions in the quantum Ising model are mathematical quantities that measure the degree of correlation between two spins at different points on the lattice. They provide information about the behavior of the system and can be used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena.

3. How are correlation functions calculated in the quantum Ising model?

Correlation functions in the quantum Ising model are typically calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory, mean-field theory, or numerical simulations. The specific method used depends on the specific problem being studied and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What is the significance of correlation functions in the quantum Ising model?

Correlation functions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the quantum Ising model and its phase transitions. They provide insights into the nature of the system and can be used to make predictions about its behavior at different temperatures and external conditions.

5. Can correlation functions in the quantum Ising model be experimentally measured?

Yes, correlation functions in the quantum Ising model can be experimentally measured using techniques such as neutron scattering, nuclear magnetic resonance, or cold atom experiments. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the behavior of real physical systems that can be described by the quantum Ising model.