2-1 multiplexer using only nands and nots

• Thread starter mathrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiplexer
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create a 2-1 multiplexer using only NAND gates and inverters. The original idea was to use a NAND gate with an inverter attached to it, but this did not work. The desired outcome is for the selection input to choose X0 when it is 0 and always choose 0 when it is 1. The solution involves using 3 NAND gates and an inverter, but there may be a simpler version since one input is always grounded. The conversation also mentions the importance of writing out a truth table and solving a 3-variable K-map to find the solution. A hint is given to use 2 inverters and 1 NAND to achieve the desired outcome.
mathrocks
I need to make a 2-1 mux using only NANDS and inverters. I thought it would look like a simple nand gate with another inverter attached at the end (basically a AND gate). However, that didnt work. I need it so when the selection input is a zero it selects whatever X0 is and when the selection input is a 1 it will always select 0. I know how implement it using 3 NAND gates and an inverter. But I thought since one input is constantly grounded, there would be a a lot simplifed version.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you try and figure out these problems it is always best to write out the truth table and solve the 3 variable k-map (for this case).

Hint: If the output of the MUX is X0 when S = 0 and the output of the MUX is 0 when S=1, then you'll need 2 inverters and 1 NAND.

for your question! Yes, you are correct that a 2-1 multiplexer can be simplified using only NAND gates and inverters. Here is a possible solution:

First, let's label our inputs as X0 and X1, and our selection input as S. Our output will be labeled as Y.

To begin, we can use a NAND gate with X0 and S as inputs, and the output of this gate will be one of our inputs for our final NAND gate. This first NAND gate will have the following truth table:

X0 | S | Output
0 | 0 | 1
1 | 0 | 1
0 | 1 | 0
1 | 1 | 0

Next, we can use another NAND gate with X1 and the output of the first NAND gate as inputs. This will be our second input for our final NAND gate. This second NAND gate will have the following truth table:

X1 | Output of first NAND gate | Output
0 | 1 | 1
1 | 1 | 0
0 | 0 | 1
1 | 0 | 0

Finally, we can use a NAND gate with the output of the second NAND gate and the selection input S as inputs. This will give us our final output Y. The truth table for this final NAND gate will be:

Output of second NAND gate | S | Output Y
1 | 0 | 1
0 | 1 | 0

As you can see, this simplified version only uses two NAND gates and one inverter, as opposed to the three NAND gates and inverter in the traditional 2-1 multiplexer. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

What is a 2-1 multiplexer?

A 2-1 multiplexer is a digital circuit that selects one of two input signals and outputs it based on a control signal. It has two data inputs, one control input, and one output.

How is a 2-1 multiplexer implemented using only NAND and NOT gates?

A 2-1 multiplexer can be implemented using only NAND and NOT gates by connecting the data inputs to the inputs of the NAND gates, and the control input to the inputs of the NOT gates. The outputs of the NAND gates are then connected to the inputs of a final NAND gate, which acts as the output of the multiplexer.

What are the advantages of using NAND and NOT gates in a 2-1 multiplexer?

Using only NAND and NOT gates in a 2-1 multiplexer allows for a simpler and more efficient circuit design. These gates are also readily available in many integrated circuit (IC) chips, making them a cost-effective option.

How does a 2-1 multiplexer using NAND and NOT gates differ from one using other logic gates?

A 2-1 multiplexer using NAND and NOT gates differs from one using other logic gates in terms of the number of gates required and the complexity of the circuit design. It also has a different truth table compared to other implementations.

Can a 2-1 multiplexer using only NAND and NOT gates be expanded to have more inputs?

Yes, a 2-1 multiplexer using NAND and NOT gates can be expanded to have more inputs by adding additional NAND gates and NOT gates. The number of inputs that can be added depends on the number of available gates and the desired functionality.