2 Blocks 1 Pulley - First Time Poster

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a massless string and a pulley. The first block has a mass of 28.3 kg and is subject to a force of 208.9 N at an angle of 29.7 degrees. The second block has a mass of 5.5 kg and is connected to the first block by the string. The goal is to determine the upward acceleration of the second block. The conversation includes equations and a free body diagram to help solve the problem.
SnowboardNerd
Hi! First Time Poster.

Thank you for helping me with my problem!

Homework Statement

A 28.3-kg block (m1) is on a horizontal surface, connected to a 5.5-kg block (m2) by a massless string as shown in the Figure. The pulley is massless and frictionless. A force of 208.9 N acts on m1 at an angle of 29.7o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.201. Determine the upward acceleration of m2.

\
\
\
M1-------O
|
|
M2

I'm not sure how to post pictures within my message just yet.

Homework Equations

X and Y components of the force on F1

Sum F = M * A

Kf = uK * Fn

g = 9.8m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

**Y+ is upwards and X+ is to the right**

I found the X and Y components of the Force on M1

I added M1 and M2... not sure if I need this but just in case.

And I drew Free Body Diagrams for both M1 and M2

- M1 has Normal Force acting Y+, which equals its Weight (m*g)... M1 also has Friction and Tension acting X+... the x component of the force acting X-

- M2 only has Tension acting Y+, and Weight (mg)... I suspect the tension to be equal to the tension... but I'm not sure.

Thanks! I hope I gave you enough information!

Attachments

• prob06.gif
    prob06.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure where to go from here. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Also, can anyone see this post?? I'm not sure what the icon next to the post means.

Can someone please message me? I've been awake and waiting for quite some time now...

Show your equations. The figure is very nice.

ehild

Ok thank you for writing back! One second while i type it up!

Known
m1 = 28.3
m2 = 5.5 kg
theta = 29.7
f = 208.9
uK = 0.201

Want

Acceleration of M2 in the Y direction...

Fx = 208.9 cos (29.7) = 181.457
Fy = 208.9 sin (29.7) = 203.501

M1 + M2 = 28.3 + 5.5 = 33.8 (M3) (I'm not sure if I'll need this)

For M2

Sum Fy = M*Ay

T - m*g = M* Ay

For M1

F - T - Friction = M * A

F - T - uK * Fn = M * A

Thats all I have at the moment... :/

Does this suffice?

Use M1 and M2, respectively, in the equations for M1 and M2. They are not the same, and what is m in the equation for the hanging mass?
The length of the string does not change, so the magnitude of the vertical acceleration of M2 is the same as the horizontal acceleration of M1.
When you corrected the equations, add them: T will cancel and you can solve for the common acceleration a. Show it.

ehild

M1: F-T-ukFn = m a

(208.9cos(29.7)) - T - 0.201*277.34 = 28.3*a

M2: T - mg = m a

T - 5.5*9.8 = 5.5 a

(T - (5.5*9.8) ) / 5.5 = a

How would I solve for something like this? Two variables?

You assumed that M1 moves on the left and M2 moves upward. It is not sure that true, but try. Then write:

M1:
F cosθ - T - μ Fn =M1a,

Fn=M1g-F sinθ, so

F cosθ - T-μ(M1g-F sinθ)=M1a.

M2:

T-M2g=M2a.

You can plug-in the numerical data at the end.

Add the equations in bold, or express T from the second one and substitute in the first one.

ehild

208.9 cos 29.7 - (5.5 a + 28.3 * -9.8 ) - 0.201 ( 208.9 - sin (29.7) ) = 28.3 - a

a = 86.357?

Yeah, this is not making sense... sorry. Can you please explain it again?

Yeah, this is not making sense... sorry. Can you please explain it again?

nerd, do as ehild said. "Add the equations in bold" it will cancel out T, then solve for a

EDIT: i can't emphasize the importance of a free body diagram enough. Always draw a FBD for different bodies in question.
believe me, life becomes easier when one does

SnowboardNerd said:
208.9 cos 29.7 - (5.5 a + 28.3 * -9.8 ) - 0.201 ( 208.9 - sin (29.7) ) = 28.3 - a

a = 86.357?

Correct the red parts of the equation. g=9.8 m/s2, its direction was taken into account in the second equation. I can not imagine, why did you make 28.3-a from M2a. Isolate a, it is present at both sides. Take care of the parentheses.
It is better to solve a problem symbolically, and plug in data at the end.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system?

A "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system is a type of mechanical system that consists of two fixed blocks and one movable pulley. The pulley acts as a simple machine that helps to change the direction of the force applied to the system. This type of system is commonly used in lifting and pulling heavy objects.

2. How does a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system work?

In this system, one end of a rope is attached to a fixed block, then looped around the movable pulley, and finally attached to the other fixed block. When force is applied to one end of the rope, it is transmitted through the pulley and distributed to both blocks, causing the load to be lifted or moved.

3. What are the advantages of using a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system?

One advantage of this system is that it allows for the use of less force to move or lift heavy objects. This is because the force is distributed between the two blocks, making the load easier to lift. Additionally, it also allows for a change in the direction of the force, making it useful in various applications.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system?

The mechanical advantage of a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system can be calculated by dividing the load weight by the effort force. The effort force is the amount of force applied to one end of the rope, and the load weight is the weight of the object being lifted or moved. The resulting value is the mechanical advantage of the system.

5. What are some real-life applications of a "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" system?

This type of system is commonly used in construction, transportation, and other industries where heavy objects need to be lifted or moved. It is also used in rock climbing and other sports where ropes are used to support and lift the body weight of the climber. Additionally, "2 Blocks 1 Pulley" systems are also used in various machines and equipment, such as cranes, elevators, and zip lines.