2 dimensional PDE and a higher dimension problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 2D partial differential equation with a given function, and proving an integral equality using Plancherel's theorem. The attempt at a solution involves using Fourier transforms and manipulating the integrals, but the person is unsure of the exact steps and requests help.
r.a.c.

Homework Statement

The 2d PDE

Assume [tex]f\in S(\mathbb{R}^2)[/tex] (Schwartz space)

Then solve

[tex] u_{xx}(x,y) + 2u_{yy}(x,y) + 3u_{x}(x,y) -4u(x,y) = f(x,y) ; (x,y) \in\mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]

[tex] u_{xxxx}(x,y) - u_{yy}(x,y) + 2u(x,y) = f(x,y) ; (x,y) \in\mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are a whole course. None specifically come to mind except the Fourier transform which is [tex]f^h = \int_{\mathbb{R}^2} f(x) e^-^2^\pi ^i^\theta^.^x dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I, by all honesty have no idea how to start I've been thinking but can't. In fact that's the one thing I need help in, I think once I pick up some momentum I'll be fine.

Homework Statement

Higher d problem.

Assume [tex]f\in S(\mathbb{R}^8)[/tex] (Schwartz space)

Prove That

[tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^5} | \int_{\mathbb{R}^8} e^-^2^\pi ^i^(^\theta^,^0^,^0^,^0^).^u f(u) du |^2 d\theta = \int_{\mathbb{R}^5} | \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} f(x,y) dy |^2 dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

Plancherel's Theorem: [tex]\int |f(x)|^2 dx = \int |f^h(\theta )|^2 dc [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well its easy to see that inner integral on the left hand side becomes [tex] f^h(\theta ,0,0,0) which is = f^h(\theta)[/tex]. From there we can use plancherel to take the h off. But from there I get a bit confused because I'm not exactly sure what's allowed or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can I just pull out the f as a constant ? Can I flip the inner integral and absolute value ? I'm thinking that the trick is to write the right hand side in terms of Fourier transform and then apply Plancherel's theorem. But I'm not sure how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to 2 dimensional PDE and a higher dimension problem.

What is a 2 dimensional PDE?

A 2 dimensional PDE (partial differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves two independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is typically used to model physical systems that vary in two dimensions, such as temperature distribution over a flat surface.

What are some examples of problems that can be described using a 2 dimensional PDE?

Some examples of problems that can be described using a 2 dimensional PDE include heat conduction, wave propagation, and fluid flow in two dimensions. These problems can arise in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

How is solving a higher dimension problem different from solving a 2 dimensional PDE?

Solving a higher dimension problem involves dealing with more than two independent variables, making it more complex than solving a 2 dimensional PDE. In higher dimensions, the number of partial derivatives increases, and the equations become more difficult to solve analytically. Numerical methods are often used to solve higher dimension problems.

What are the main techniques used to solve 2 dimensional PDEs?

The main techniques used to solve 2 dimensional PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and green’s function method. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and finding solutions for each part, which are then combined to obtain the overall solution.

How are 2 dimensional PDEs applied in real-world problems?

2 dimensional PDEs are widely used in many scientific and engineering fields to model and understand real-world problems. For example, they are used to study heat transfer in electronic devices, predict weather patterns, and analyze financial markets. Solving these equations allows scientists to make predictions and optimize systems for various applications.