2 DOF oscillator max force response

In summary: Could it be that you need to find the "steady state response" by solving the system with initial conditions?
saxymon
Hello,

I am mounting a component onto structure and I need to determine the maximum force input into the component.

My system can be represented by a base driven two degree of freedom oscillator:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/xowmr.png

I need to determine the force applied to m2:

F = k2*(x2-x1) + c2*(x2-x1)

This force needs to be a function of (m1,m2,c1,c2,k1,k2,y) and not of (x1,x2).
Basically, for a given input y, what will the be force response on m2.

Every time I solve the system of equations, my result is a function of x1 and/or x2.

Thank you in advance for your help!

p.s. If it is easier, feel free to remove the dampers from the system. An un-damped system will work for my purposes.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is somewhat unfamiliar territory for me. A real spring has some length, right? Let that be l2 or l1 when the springs are unloaded.F2 = -k2d
d = x2 - x1 - l2
F2 = m2dx2/dt = k2(x1 + l2 - x2)

Then the force on m1 would be the negation of that plus the force from the spring connecting it to the base

F1 = m1dx1/dt = k2(x2- x1 - l2) + k1(y + l1 - x1)

This should be a system of differential equations which has solutions dependent on initial values of x1 and x2 as well as the entire input function y(t). You must further specify the problem by placing constraints on the initial positions, and the input function y(t). Then you may still be left with a seemingly large space of y(t) functions over which to maximize the force.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply MisterX. A couple comments...

The nominal length of the spring can be ignored as this is an oscillatory system (and as long as the stiffness is the same, the response will be the same, regardless of length).

Also, I am seeing the force on m2 (not m1), which is defined as
F = k2*(x2-x1)

I am looking for a steady state response due to a stationary random input which means initial conditions are not needed (they effect only the transient response). Think of this as a "Force" Frequency Response Function

Here is what I've done...

my matrix system of equations is...

[m1 0 ; 0 m2] [x''1 ; x''2] + [k1+k2 -k2 ; -k2 k2] [x1 ; x2] = [0 ; k1] [0 y]

Interestingly enough, the force I need to recover is naturally in the lower portion of the equation giving:

F = k1*y - m2*x''2

I make the reduction to

F = k1*y + Wn^2*m2*x2

but still was not able to remove all of the x2's and x1's (after making a number of substitutions).

1. What is a 2 DOF oscillator?

A 2 DOF (degrees of freedom) oscillator is a mechanical system that can move in two independent directions or modes. It consists of two interconnected masses that are able to oscillate or vibrate in response to an applied force.

2. What is the maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator?

The maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator refers to the maximum amplitude of oscillation that the system can achieve when subjected to a specific force. It is dependent on the characteristics of the system, such as the masses, stiffness, and damping.

3. How is the maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator calculated?

The maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator can be calculated using the equation Fmax = mω2A, where m is the mass, ω is the natural frequency of the system, and A is the amplitude of oscillation. It can also be determined experimentally through testing and analysis.

4. What factors affect the maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator?

The maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator is influenced by various factors, such as the stiffness of the system, the amount of damping present, the magnitude and frequency of the applied force, and the initial conditions of the system.

5. Why is the understanding of the maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator important?

Understanding the maximum force response of a 2 DOF oscillator is crucial in engineering and design as it allows for the prediction and analysis of the system's behavior under different loading conditions. This information can be used to optimize and improve the performance and durability of the system.