2016 PF Betterment Survey

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the community wants to communicate its frustrations and needs, and it's your duty as a member to provide feedback.
phinds said:
I agree w/ you.

"likes" used to be "thanks" and was, I believe, much more indicative of reputation for helpfulness but Greg decided he wanted to be more like Facebook so changed it to "like".

For example, I've got a whole ton of "likes" but that's just because I make smart ass remarks that are sometimes funny whereas the people here who really know what they are talking about and are very helpful in providing solid answers don't always get as much credit as they deserve. I argued w/ Greg about that change when it happened but I lost. I doubt if he's going to re-open that whole can of worms for you.

Deciding what "reputation" is and how it gets determined is a tricky and touchy subject, so I can't entirely blame Greg* for not wanting to complicate it.
* Actually, I COULD blame him but he's a nice guy so I don't :smile:

I get your point. But I feel likes or upvotes are a good way to measure because if someone writes something correct and insightful, he/she will get his share of upvotes.(After all this is a physics community and people will definitely like good answers better than kickass replies.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:
I get your point. But I feel likes or upvotes are a good way to measure because if someone writes something correct and insightful, he/she will get his share of upvotes.(After all this is a physics community and people will definitely like good answers better than kickass replies.)

Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. Other websites use this system and they have problems with incorrect/inaccurate answers being upvoted because people think they are correct.

Drakkith said:
Unfortunately it doesn't work like this. Other websites use this system and they have problems with incorrect/inaccurate answers being upvoted because people think they are correct.
hmmmm...
Perhaps a "qualitative" scorecard star ranking would work.
I'm sure that Greg has all the data. It just requires some "mining".

Based on, of course, who's opinions matter the most:
Admin: 33%
Mentors: 33%
Science Advisors: 33%
HW Helpers: 33%
Librarian/janitor: 1%
Riff-raff: .0001%
And vote count:
Likes from admin: 4
Dislikes from admin: 1
Likes from mentors: 12
Dislikes from mentors(including infractions, which count for 100): 896
Likes from SAs: 1
Dislikes from SAs: 7
Likes from HWHs: 0
Dislikes from HWHs: 143
Likes from the Lib/jan: 1000
Dislikes from the Lib/Jan: 2 or 3. I'll call it 2.5
Likes from Riff-raff: 147
Dislikes from Riff-raff: 1380​

Not doing the maths, I come up with...

keep.an.eye.on.this.guy.jpg

Likes Drakkith, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
Yashbhatt said:
My complaint is that users shouldn't be awarded points on each and every post.

specifically ... what points are you referring to ? ... not the post count I hope ? ... as that is all it is a post count

Yashbhatt said:
The points should somehow reflect the quality of the posts of the individual.

There are other systems in place that award ta member for good contributions and other activities on the forum :smile:
eg
Science advisor nomination for those that continue to make long term good scientifically sound posts
Homework Helper nomination for those that continue to make good help response posts in the homework section
Being pro-active in answering unanswered posts to help people out
The annual awards for all the different sections ... engineering, maths, physics, humour, community spirit etc

just to name a fewDave

davenn said:
specifically ... what points are you referring to ? ... not the post count I hope ? ... as that is all it is a post count
There are other systems in place that award ta member for good contributions and other activities on the forum :smile:
eg
Science advisor nomination for those that continue to make long term good scientifically sound posts
Homework Helper nomination for those that continue to make good help response posts in the homework section
Being pro-active in answering unanswered posts to help people out
The annual awards for all the different sections ... engineering, maths, physics, humour, community spirit etc

just to name a fewDave
Yeah, and they STILL won't give me an award for being the grumpiest. Blatant discrimination against us niceness-challenged, I call it.!

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Yeah, and they STILL won't give me an award for being the grumpiest.

haha, that's because you are just a big cute and cuddly ball of fur, we all can't help by luv you regardless :wink:

Growl, growl, growl, ARF !

phinds said:
Yeah, and they STILL won't give me an award for being the grumpiest. Blatant discrimination against us niceness-challenged, I call it.!
I'm also scrounging for a new badge.
That "Admin" and I are still arguing about how long it will take me to clean up this place, IF I get the job.
I kind of inferred; "You get what you pay for..."

Likes Drakkith and davenn
In addition to what I already indicated in the survey, I think it would be nice if those contemplating a response to a thread (especially when it involves a (technical) question) take notice of replies that are already there.

Likes davenn
Krylov said:
In addition to what I already indicated in the survey, I think it would be nice if those contemplating a response to a thread (especially when it involves a (technical) question) take notice of replies that are already there.
Boy howdy, do I ever agree w/ that. CLEARLY not going to happen, though. Over and over I see people adding answers that add absolutely nothing to what has already been said, and giving no acknowledgment to the previous answers. I hate it but as I said, I don't think there's any way it's going to change.

Likes davenn and S.G. Janssens
phinds said:
I hate it but as I said, I don't think there's any way it's going to change.
I might start pointing this out politely every now and then. Maybe it will not be appreciated, but I really don't like it either.

Krylov said:
I might start pointing this out politely every now and then. Maybe it will not be appreciated, but I really don't like it either.
I have pointed it out on occasion and more than once the answer has been either literally or effectively "yeah, I know I didn't add anything but I just wanted to say it my own way". There are even occasions where it might be helpful to the OP to see things expressed in slightly different ways, but not usually.

Still plenty of time to help make PF better and get a t-shirt!

Fill out the survey here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SFKV7NX

Whoop!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
boneh3ad said:
Rigged!
You're right. You should send the PF T-Shirt to me. :oldtongue:

dlgoff said:
You're right. You should send the PF T-Shirt to me. :oldtongue:

Alright, but I'll need your credit card information, name, and address for shipping.

Likes dlgoff
boneh3ad said:
I'll need your credit card information
:doh:

dlgoff said:
:doh:

Don't forget those 3 little numbers on the back.

Likes ElijahRockers and dlgoff
I submit this entire thread should be deleted or possibly printed and burned on the grounds that it is unsubstantiated hearsay totally unsupported by a single citation from a scholarly review and possibly even the beginnings of a uniform wearing cult! :P Of course I will wear that uniform proudly. :D Thanks all... not only for the vote of confidence but for a thoroughly enjoyable body of work that makes this Forum a great place and one that I frequently recommend to others.

Likes dlgoff and Borg
Yashbhatt said:
It would be great if you make a post announcing their suggestions.
Yeah! Because I already forgot my suggestions! :doh:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Yeah! Because I already forgot my suggestions! :doh:
Suggestions that we find beneficial and practical we will be implementing (or already have) :smile:

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug and Yashbhatt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Suggestions that we find beneficial and practical we will be implementing (or already have) :smile:
Is there any thread where all the new changes will be mentioned?

(By the way, what is the number besides the post count?)

Yashbhatt said:
It denotes likes.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yashbhatt said:
Is there any thread where all the new changes will be mentioned?

Noteable changes are announced in the feedback forum

Posts / Likes

Likes gracy and Yashbhatt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Noteable changes are announced in the feedback forum

Posts / Likes
Okay. :smile:

Equations don't render on my iPhone using the PF App. Is there a setting I should be using?