2014 PF Member Awards Winners Ceremony

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: Not for the award BvU won ;)Somehow I can not think BvU a newcomer. I am seeing him for such a long time...:D:rolleyes:Somehow I can not think BvU a newcomer. I am seeing him for such a long time...
This award season has been outstanding! The polls were chop full of some of our best members. However as always, someone must come out on top. Those nominated should feel incredible pride I must also reiterate that each poll could easily be 2-3 longer. Many fantastic members were left off. Fear not, we know about you and are grateful for your contributions!

Without further delay, here are your 2014 award winners!

Physics
@vanhees71

Mathematics
@Stephen Tashi

Astronomy and Cosmology
@marcus

Engineering
@jim hardy

Homework Help
@ehild and @haruspex

Other Sciences
@davenn

Community Spirit
@dlgoff

Best Humor
@OmCheeto

Newcomer
@BvU Postbit trophies will be visible shortly. Now let's get out there and make 2015 even better!

Likes DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
Yay!

Congratulations to all of the other winners!

I would attempt to say something funny, but I feel a nap coming :sleep:

Likes Chestermiller, RonL, Borg and 1 other person
Congratulations to the winners, nominees and the other active members which make up this friendly community.

Likes davenn
Congratulations to all, both the winners and nominees!

Likes sylwesh98 and davenn
I'm totally honored to be the winner of the Community Spirit Award. I will try to do my best to represent our community of science lovers in 2015.

Likes sylwesh98, RonL, Borg and 1 other person
Thankyou so much everyone for the honour of the award for the Other Sciences.

And thankyou to Greg Bernhardt and the mentors for producing and running a forum that is conducive
to producing both good science and allowing members to feel like part of a family

Regards
Dave

Likes TheDemx27, RonL, dlgoff and 1 other person
Thank you all who nominated me and voted on me. It is a warm feeling to know that people like the homework helping I do. And thank you Greg and the Staff for creating and running the Forums.
I love you all :oldlove:

Elizabeth
(ehild)

Likes gracy, Satvik Pandey, lisab and 3 others
Thank you very much for voting on me for the physics award. I'm very proud to have been nominated and finally elected. Thanks also to the great team moderating the forums so well!

Likes RonL, dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
Congratulations all winners!

Thank you all (?) for this nice reward. It will be very hard to sustain this kind of success ;)

Likes gracy
BvU said:
Thank you all (?) for this nice reward. It will be very hard to sustain this kind of success ;)
I see what you did there...

:D

BvU said:
It will be very hard to sustain this kind of success ;)
nah, it seems to come natural for you :)

Likes gracy
BvU said:
Indeed, I do not think anyone has won that particular award two years in a row :rolleyes:

Orodruin said:
Indeed, I do not think anyone has won that particular award two years in a row :rolleyes:
If I remember well, it was possible earlier, and happened with Tiny Tim, for example. He used to be extremely popular, and won the HH medal for a couple of years in a row. A few years ago, Greg introduced that a winner could not be nominated the next year.

ehild said:
If I remember well, it was possible earlier, and happened with Tiny Tim, for example.
Not for the award BvU won ;)

Orodruin said:
Not for the award BvU won ;)
Yes, it was not the Newcomer award :D
Somehow I can not think BvU a newcomer. I am seeing him for such a long time...

:D
ehild said:
Yes, it was not the Newcomer award :D
Somehow I can not think BvU a newcomer. I am seeing him for such a long time...

For me he has always been here ... :D:rolleyes:

Likes gracy
Yes, you are a newest comer then BvU. :) You see... haven't been a Mentor, you could have won the Newcomer award. But the HH award as well, or the Physics award... and you could have voted on the nominees. Now you are deprived from all these good things...

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
Yes, you are a newest comer then BvU. :) You see... haven't been a Mentor, you could have won the Newcomer award. But the HH award as well, or the Physics award... and you could have voted on the nominees. Now you are deprived from all these good things...
But I get this shiny ... uhmmmm ... green ... badge saying "Mentor" ... and the power to ban crackpots. :devil:

Likes gracy
Orodruin said:
But I get this shiny ... uhmmmm ... green ... badge saying "Mentor" ... and the power to ban crackpots. :devil:
Well... If you only knew how much I used to hate Mentors when they sent me infractions and warnings. You are the first I am not afraid of unless you ban me :biggrin:

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
You are the first I am not afraid of unless you ban me :biggrin:

0d9bc4a49c4f4fed0c8970ac82b5c2778c8dba2beaf6647c452df48e1438c482.jpg

The moment you turn crackpot ... I will be there :-p

No mercy for the ageing and weak ?
I prefer your other picture, the more human one :-p

OmCheeto said:
Yay!

Congratulations to all of the other winners!

I would attempt to say something funny, but I feel a nap coming :sleep:
Does anyone else hear drums...?

lisab said:
Does anyone else hear drums...?
shhhhhh!

ehild said:
Oh well, we could vote. And we could nominate!

I'm totally not bitter that I didn't win or anything. Yeah, totally not bitter. Like, not even a little bit. Not even a tiny little bit. Stupid awards... I'm going to make my own awards with blackjack and hookers!

Haha JK, congrats to all the winners! :D

Likes gracy
Congrats to all the nominees and winners. Well done!

Chet

Congratulations to winners and nominees!
Goodbye OmCheeto! For sure we miss you :angel:

Likes OmCheeto
Just to say: The trophy postbit looks just awesome! (Of course, it should look as awesome as the winners.) It almost makes me consider retiring as a mentor and go for the newcomer award 2015 ... oh wait! :rolleyes:
Matterwave said:
I'm totally not bitter that I didn't win or anything. Yeah, totally not bitter. Like, not even a little bit. Not even a tiny little bit. Stupid awards... I'm going to make my own awards with blackjack and hookers!
This one is for you: :D

Likes cnh1995, davenn, Matterwave and 2 others

1. What is the "2014 PF Member Awards Winners Ceremony"?

The "2014 PF Member Awards Winners Ceremony" is an annual event held by the online forum Physics Forums to recognize and celebrate the achievements of its members in various categories related to science and mathematics.

2. How are the winners of the awards chosen?

The winners of the awards are chosen through a nomination and voting process by the members of Physics Forums. Nominations are open to all members and the final winners are determined by the highest number of votes in each category.

3. What are the categories for the awards?

The categories for the awards vary each year, but typically include categories such as "Best Thread," "Best Contributor," "Best New Member," and "Most Helpful Member." There may also be special categories for specific scientific fields or topics.

4. Who is eligible to win an award?

All members of Physics Forums are eligible to be nominated and voted for in the awards. However, moderators and administrators of the forum are not eligible to win awards.

5. Is there a physical ceremony for the winners?

Due to the online nature of Physics Forums, there is no physical ceremony for the winners. However, the winners are announced on the forum and may receive a virtual badge or other recognition for their achievements.