220Vac single pole, to work in US 220Vac double pole

• Thread starter chriskoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the wiring and voltage requirements for a machine currently in use. The yellow wire is too small to be the earth/ground and the wiring appears to be odd with two hot wires on different poles of the relay. The manufacturer/vendor should be consulted for further clarification and a qualified electrician is needed to properly solve the issue.
chriskoz
TL;DR Summary
Hello, I need help. I have a printing machine and dryer unit that I purchased from China. It came wired as 220Vac single pole. How do i make it work with the US 220Vac double pole. attached are 2 pics of what I'm dealing with. Thank you in advance.
16697.jpeg
16797.jpeg

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need to ask the manufacturer/vendor.

The yellow wire is too small to be the earth/ground for the entire machine, and isn't going through the main relay so it's probably the control circuit common/ground, not a true full-system ground. So it probably requires 220V, not the 120V of a single phase US hot.

The wiring is odd overall though, with two hot wires on different poles of the relay. It looks like a mis-purposed 3-phase plus ground relay.

16627.jpeg

russ_watters said:
You'll need to ask the manufacturer/vendor.

The yellow wire is too small to be the earth/ground for the entire machine, and isn't going through the main relay so it's probably the control circuit common/ground, not a true full-system ground. So it probably requires 220V, not the 120V of a single phase US hot.

The wiring is odd overall though, with two hot wires on different poles of the relay. It looks like a mis-purposed 3-phase plus ground relay.
this is what they sent me,,, as one currently in use.. using the 220Vac single pole

chriskoz said:
View attachment 290886

this is what they sent me,,, as one currently in use.. using the 220Vac single pole
How are we supposed to interpret that? They won't send you a wiring diagram?

I like how one wire is labeled "Fire". It may be appropriate.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and artis
I was about to comment on the phase wire being labeled "fire" but @Vanadium 50 beat me to it.

@chriskoz other members will correct me but wasn't the US split phase system 120v and 240v instead of 220?
Anyway for most applications that require 230/240v as is common here in Europe for all applications, in the US one then uses the two "hot" wires of the split phase system because you effectively have a neutral and 120v on either side of the neutral so if you use one live and one neutral you get 120v but if you use both live wires you get 240.
But without at least a simple schematic just looking from pictures it is next to impossible to tell you the best/right solution in your case.

is the picture in your post #3 your own or one that they sent you ?
It seems that the brown in that picture is meant live/phase and the blue is neutral, the green is grounding.

I don't want to guess here but for the US system I think most likely you have to take the two hot wires from the 240v output and connect one to the RED or Chinese labeled "fire" wire and the other to the neutral or blue or Chinese labeled "zero" wire , that would seem most logical

In the US 240v case you then take one wire and that becomes your "phase/hot" while the other live wire becomes your "neutral" as is used in Europe and elsewhere.

Last edited:
You NEED a qualified electrician to figure this out. This problem is something that we cannot properly solve via the internet. Thread closed.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman

1. What is the difference between 220Vac single pole and 220Vac double pole?

The main difference between 220Vac single pole and 220Vac double pole is the number of poles, or connections, that the circuit has. A single pole circuit has one hot wire and one neutral wire, while a double pole circuit has two hot wires and one neutral wire. This means that a double pole circuit can handle a higher voltage and is typically used for larger appliances or equipment.

2. Can I use a 220Vac single pole circuit for a 220Vac double pole device?

No, it is not safe to use a 220Vac single pole circuit for a 220Vac double pole device. The single pole circuit is not designed to handle the higher voltage and could cause damage to the device or even start a fire. It is important to always use the correct circuit for the specific device.

3. How do I convert a 220Vac single pole circuit to a 220Vac double pole circuit?

To convert a 220Vac single pole circuit to a 220Vac double pole circuit, you will need to install a double pole circuit breaker in your electrical panel. This will allow for the two hot wires to be connected to the circuit, providing the necessary voltage for the device. It is recommended to consult a licensed electrician for any electrical work.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with 220Vac circuits?

Yes, working with 220Vac circuits can be dangerous and should be approached with caution. Always turn off the power to the circuit before working on it, and use appropriate safety gear such as gloves and goggles. It is also important to follow proper wiring techniques and never overload a circuit.

5. Can I use a 220Vac single pole device on a 220Vac double pole circuit?

Yes, it is safe to use a 220Vac single pole device on a 220Vac double pole circuit. The extra hot wire will not affect the device as long as it is rated for 220Vac. However, it is not recommended to use a 220Vac double pole device on a 220Vac single pole circuit as it may not receive enough voltage to function properly.