2D problem of nearly free electron model

In summary, the problem is asking to find the energies of states at a specific point in 1D. The secular equation for energy is given, and the potential is represented in complex notation. The central equation for finding the 4x4 matrix is also provided, but the student is unsure of how to find it.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find energies of states at ##(\frac{\pi}{a},0)##.
(b) Find secular equation

simon_15_4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)[/B]
In 1D, the secular equation for energy is:
[tex]E = \epsilon_0 \pm \left| V(x,y) \right|[/tex]

When represented in complex notation, the potential becomes
[tex]V(x,y) = V_{10} \left[ e^{i\frac{2\pi x}{a}} + e^{-i\frac{2\pi x}{a}} + e^{i\frac{2\pi y}{a}} + e^{-i\frac{2\pi y}{a}} \right] + V_{11} \left[ e^{i\frac{2\pi x}{a}} + e^{-i\frac{2\pi x}{a}} \right] \left[ e^{i\frac{2\pi y}{a}} + e^{-i\frac{2\pi y}{a}} \right][/tex]

[tex]E = \epsilon_0 \pm \sqrt{V_{10}^2 + V_{11}^2 } [/tex]

Part(b)
I know the central equation is given by
[tex] \left(\epsilon_0 - E \right) C_{(k)} + \sum\limits_{G} U_G ~ C_{(k-G)} = 0 [/tex]

How do I find the 4x4 matrix?

bumpp

bumpp

Related to 2D problem of nearly free electron model

What is the 2D problem of the nearly free electron model?

The nearly free electron model is a simplified model used to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystalline solid. The 2D problem refers to a two-dimensional crystal lattice, where the motion of electrons is constrained to two dimensions.

How is the 2D problem of the nearly free electron model different from the 3D problem?

In the 2D problem, the electrons are free to move in two dimensions but are confined in the third dimension. This results in a different energy band structure and electron behavior compared to the 3D problem, where electrons are free to move in all three dimensions.

What is the main assumption of the nearly free electron model?

The nearly free electron model assumes that the electrons in a crystal experience a periodic potential from the crystal lattice and can be treated as free particles with a constant mass.

What is the significance of the nearly free electron model in materials science?

The nearly free electron model is an important tool in understanding the electronic properties of crystalline materials, especially in metals and semiconductors. It helps to explain phenomena such as electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and electronic band structure.

What are the limitations of the nearly free electron model?

The nearly free electron model is a simplified model and does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions, which can be significant in some materials. It also assumes a perfect periodic crystal lattice, which is not always the case in real materials.