2nd Diff eq application - Vertical stretch

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a computerized teaching situation. They have two cases of the same problem with different initial conditions and are asking for an explanation on how to deal with it. Another user notices a mistake in their work and suggests checking the equations for the initial conditions. They also mention some issues with the computerized workbook and suggest not using the cgs system.
Arij
Hello guys,
first I am sorry I didn't use the template. I deleted it by mistake and I didn't know how to create a new thread from scratch.

so I have two cases of the same problem, on with initial conditions of pulling down and the other pushing up, I tried different signs but It didn't work. Can anyone explain to me the difference in dealing with this?
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 4.54.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 4.53.55 PM.png

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Bit difficult to help here. I take it this is a computerized teaching situation and you did well on the picture on the left (I don't see the green shading, though). And not so well on the right. Is that correct ?
If so, I notice you use the two roots on the left, but not on the right. Could you type your work that leads you to ##2e^{-x}## ?

You can simply recover the template by starting a new thread and then cut the template from the new thread and paste it in the existing one. Then not post the new thread.

Looked at your work (as if I have plenty of time to do so...) and found you made a very simple mistake. I don't blame you but I blame your computerized workbook for three reasons:
  1. choosing y+ as 'down' is unhealthy
  2. working in the cgs system is very unhealthy
  3. a spring that stretches 1.11 m when 2 gram weight is appended is weird
If you write down your two equations for the initial conditions you'll see your mistake right away :smile:.

Last edited:
Oh, and what is the independent variable ? x ? :rolleyes:

[edit] skip my last tip in #3; you did enter -2 at first, I can assume.

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How is a vertical stretch applied in 2nd order differential equations?

In 2nd order differential equations, a vertical stretch is applied by multiplying the entire equation by a constant. This constant is typically denoted as "k" and can be adjusted to stretch or compress the solution curve vertically.

3. What are the applications of vertical stretch in 2nd order differential equations?

Vertical stretch in 2nd order differential equations is commonly used to adjust the amplitude or height of a solution curve. This is useful in modeling physical phenomena such as vibrations, oscillations, and population growth.

4. How does a vertical stretch affect the solution curve in 2nd order differential equations?

A vertical stretch changes the height of the solution curve without affecting its shape or position. It essentially stretches the curve vertically, making it taller or shorter depending on the value of the constant "k" used in the equation.

5. Can a vertical stretch be combined with other transformations in 2nd order differential equations?

Yes, a vertical stretch can be combined with other transformations such as horizontal shifts, reflections, and translations in 2nd order differential equations. These transformations can be used to create more complex and accurate models for real-world phenomena.