2nd order homogeneous diff eq

In summary, a mistake was made in setting up the initial conditions, leading to a discrepancy in sign in the final solution. Once the mistake was corrected, the correct solution was found by taking into account the negative sign in the cosine term.
leonida

Homework Statement

y"-2y'+5=0, y(∏/2)=0, y'(∏/2)=2

find general solution of this diff eq

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have followed all of the steps for this, rather easy 2nd order diff eq, but i my solution differs from the books solution.

steps:
r2-2r+5=0

r 1/2= 1±2i

y=c1etcos(2t)+c2etsin(2t)
we have y(∏/2)=0, when replaced in eq above gives me
c1=-e-(∏/2)

calculating y' from the above y gives:
y'=et((c2-2c1)sin(2t)+(c1+2c2)cos(2t))
replacing y'(∏/2)=2 i get c2=(3/2)e-(∏/2)

putting back c1 and c2 i get final solution of y=(3/2)e(t-∏/2)sin(2t)-e(t-∏/2)cos(2t)
book saying that the solution of this eq is y=-e(t-∏/2)sin(2t)

can someone point out where i am making mistakes, since i did this problem few times and i always get the same answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
leonida said:

Homework Statement

y"-2y'+5=0, y(∏/2)=0, y'(∏/2)=2

find general solution of this diff eq

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have followed all of the steps for this, rather easy 2nd order diff eq, but i my solution differs from the books solution.

steps:
r2-2r+5=0

r 1/2= 1±2i

y=c1etcos(2t)+c2etsin(2t)
we have y(∏/2)=0, when replaced in eq above gives me
c1=-e-(∏/2)
This actually gives you ##y(\pi/2)=0=c_1e^{\pi/2}##. You set it equal to 1, not 0.

calculating y' from the above y gives:
y'=et((c2-2c1)sin(2t)+(c1+2c2)cos(2t))
replacing y'(∏/2)=2 i get c2=(3/2)e-(∏/2)

putting back c1 and c2 i get final solution of y=(3/2)e(t-∏/2)sin(2t)-e(t-∏/2)cos(2t)
book saying that the solution of this eq is y=-e(t-∏/2)sin(2t)

can someone point out where i am making mistakes, since i did this problem few times and i always get the same answer...

vela,
thank you.. i knew i made some silly mistake...

after correcting my work i still have discrepancy in sign.. i am getting positiv, while book is saying negative..

After differentiating y I get => y'=et((c2-2c1)sin(2t)+(c1+2c2)cos(2t))

since c1=0 and y'(∏/2)=2

2=2e∏/2c2 which is

c2=e-(∏/2) and i need this to be negative...

got it.. cos(pi)=-1 and there i get my negative sign... Vela, thanks a lot for pointing my mistake

Glad you figured it out.

1. What is a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation?

A 2nd order homogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a function and the function itself, where all the terms in the equation are equal to zero. It is called "homogeneous" because all the terms have the same degree, and it does not involve any additional functions.

2. How does a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation differ from a non-homogeneous one?

A non-homogeneous differential equation contains additional terms that are not equal to zero, while a homogeneous equation only has terms that are equal to zero. This difference is important because it affects the methods used to solve the equation.

3. What are some common applications of 2nd order homogeneous differential equations?

2nd order homogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration and forces, such as in mechanics and electricity. They are also used in chemistry to describe chemical reactions and in biology to model population growth.

4. What are the general steps for solving a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation?

The general steps for solving a 2nd order homogeneous differential equation are: 1) Identify the equation as homogeneous and rearrange it into standard form, 2) Find the roots of the characteristic equation, 3) Write the general solution using the roots and constants, 4) Use initial conditions to solve for the constants, and 5) Simplify the solution to its final form.

5. Are there any methods for solving 2nd order homogeneous differential equations that do not involve finding the roots of the characteristic equation?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. These methods are used when the roots of the characteristic equation are complex or repeated, making it difficult to find a general solution using them.