3-angular momentum : independent of pivot?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that dL/dt = 0, finding the relation between space part and 3-angular momentum vector, and showing that the 3-angular momentum vector is independent of pivot. The attempt at a solution includes solving parts (i) and (ii), but there is uncertainty about what (iii) is trying to show.
unscientific

Homework Statement

[/B]
(i) Prove that dL/dt = 0
(ii) Find the relation between space part and 3-angular momentum vector
(iii)Show that 3-angularmomentum vector is independent of pivot
2qvw9xx.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm not sure what part (iii) is trying to get at, but I think I've solved (i) and (ii):

Part(i)
[tex]\frac{\partial L^{ab}}{\partial \tau} = P^b \frac{\partial X^a}{\partial \tau} - P^a \frac{\partial X^b}{\partial \tau}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{P^bP^a}{m_0} - \frac{P^aP^b}{m_0} =0 [/tex]

Part(ii)
[tex]L_i = x_jp_k - x_kp_j [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it, thanks!

1. What is 3-angular momentum?

The 3-angular momentum, also known as the angular momentum vector, is a physical quantity that represents the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is defined as the cross product of an object's position vector and its linear momentum vector.

2. How is 3-angular momentum different from regular angular momentum?

Regular angular momentum is a scalar quantity that only takes into account the magnitude of an object's rotational motion. 3-angular momentum, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that also considers the direction of an object's rotational motion.

3. Is 3-angular momentum always conserved?

Yes, 3-angular momentum is always conserved in a closed system. This means that the total 3-angular momentum of a system remains constant regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

4. What does it mean for 3-angular momentum to be independent of pivot?

When 3-angular momentum is independent of pivot, it means that the value of 3-angular momentum remains the same regardless of the choice of pivot point. This property is a result of the vector nature of 3-angular momentum.

5. Can objects have 3-angular momentum without any rotational motion?

No, objects cannot have 3-angular momentum without any rotational motion. 3-angular momentum is a direct result of an object's rotational motion, and without any rotation, the value of 3-angular momentum would be zero.