3-phase delta supply to a 3-phase synchronous motor?

In summary, the question is whether a 3 phase delta supply can be used for a 3 phase synchronous motor with stator windings connected in star. The potential concerns are the need for a continuous current supply to the rotor and the potential mismatch in phase differences. Star and delta are two ways to connect three windings, with the star potentially having a neutral connection. Comparing the phasor diagrams for both configurations, the voltage of the delta is less than the star. However, both configurations have three phases with 120° phase separation, making it difficult for an intelligent synchronous motor to differentiate between the two.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

Can we use a 3 phase delta supply to a 3 phase synchronous motor who's stator windings are connected in star (wye)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking no, since I read in my notes that the rotor has to be supplied with a "continuous current"

But I'm not sure. I have to justify my answer. I am also thinking maybe the phase differences won't match up and it won't work? I don't know. Can someone help clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
Star and delta are the two ways to connect three windings. The star may also have a neutral connection.
If you draw the phasor diagram for both configurations you will see that the voltage of the delta is less than the star.

Both configurations have three phases with 120° phase separation.
How could an intelligent synchronous motor tell the difference?

Likes Cocoleia

1. What is a 3-phase delta supply?

A 3-phase delta supply is a type of electrical power distribution system in which three voltage sources are connected in a triangular or delta configuration. This type of supply is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings.

2. What is a 3-phase synchronous motor?

A 3-phase synchronous motor is an AC electric motor that operates using three phases of alternating current. It is a type of electric motor that rotates at a constant speed, synchronous with the frequency of the supply voltage.

3. How does a 3-phase delta supply power a 3-phase synchronous motor?

The 3-phase delta supply delivers three separate voltage sources to the motor, which creates a rotating magnetic field. This rotating field interacts with the motor's stator, causing it to rotate and power the motor.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3-phase delta supply for a 3-phase synchronous motor?

One advantage is that it provides a more balanced load on the three phases, reducing the risk of power outages. Additionally, the delta configuration allows for a smaller physical size of the motor, making it more compact and efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3-phase delta supply for a 3-phase synchronous motor?

One limitation is that the motor must be designed to operate with a delta supply. Additionally, if one phase of the supply fails, the motor will not be able to operate at full capacity, so backup systems may be needed for critical applications.