360 Degree rotating mains plug socket?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a solution to provide power to objects on a 360 rotating photography platform. The solution mentioned is a plug socket built into the floor in the center of the platform, which could spin without tangling wires. The product is described as an extension cord with multiple outlets, such as the one made by brennenstuhl. Other options suggested include using a coiled extension cord or a 240V slip ring capsule. However, it is noted that these solutions may not work if the turntable does not have a hollow central shaft or large ring bearing.
stuart t
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can provide a solution to a problem I have come across at work. I have a 360 rotating platform for photography being installed in a couple of weeks and need to a solution to providing power to the objects I put on it. To give you a bigger picture we photograph furniture and over 50% of the products need mains power to operate a function. The camera takes over 40 shots as the object rotates giving a full 360 image, this means i would have to unplug the power several times each shot to make sure the wire is out of sight. What i need is a plug socket built into the floor in the center of the platform which could spin and not tangle the wires underneath. Does such a product exists and if so what is it called?

Not sure if this is the right place for this question so sorry if i have wasted your time, I just can't find anything online to help.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Svein said:
I am sure such a thing exists, because I have an extension cord/4 way outlet that does exactly what you specify. It is made by brennenstuhl (http://www.brennenstuhl.com/index.php?module=viewer&index[viewer][page]=home).
What's the model number for the one that rotates?

stuart t said:
I have a 360 rotating platform for photography being installed in a couple of weeks and need to a solution to providing power to the objects I put on it.
As long as you limit the rotation to a single 360 degree spin (and then spin it backwards to 0 degrees), you should be able to just use a length of heavy duty extension cord coiled under the table...

Use a coiled extension cord (similar to a telephone handset cable) and you will get several rotations of useful travel. Resetting the table would then be simply a matter of unplugging the coiled part and letting it spring back to shape.

BoB

berkeman said:
What's the model number for the one that rotates?
It is H05RR-F 3G1,5.

This isn't very industrial strength. I wouldn't trust it to last for very long, but it will handle repeated 360 degree rotations.
I had one belkin strip that used something like this and it went bad just sitting there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1T09GU/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This is a professional industrial solution, some are rated to 1200 rpm, 30 amp
http://www.mercotac.com/html/threeconductor.html

Those two should give you more stuff to look for. Just google "rotating mains plug" or "rotating electrical connector" and look at the images.

The problem with all of the above is that they may have to be located on the axis of rotation of the turntable. That may not be possible depending on the design of the turntable. Does it have a hollow central shaft? A large ring bearing?

Some sort of slip ring as mentioned by Baluncore is the best way to go if the turntable will allow.

1. How does a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket work?

The 360 degree rotating mains plug socket has a circular base with multiple outlets that can rotate 360 degrees. This allows the user to easily plug in and access devices from any angle, without having to twist and turn the entire socket.

2. Can I plug in multiple devices into a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket?

Yes, the 360 degree rotating mains plug socket typically has multiple outlets, allowing you to plug in multiple devices at once. However, it is important to check the wattage and voltage limits of the socket to avoid overloading it.

3. Is a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket safe to use?

Yes, as long as it is used properly and within its designated wattage and voltage limits, a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket is safe to use. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid overloading the socket.

4. Can I use a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket in any country?

No, the type of plug and voltage requirements vary from country to country. It is important to check the compatibility of the socket with the country's electrical standards before using it.

5. Are there any benefits to using a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket?

One of the main benefits of a 360 degree rotating mains plug socket is its convenience and flexibility. It allows for easy access to outlets from any angle and can accommodate multiple devices at once. It can also be useful for organizing and decluttering cords and cables.