3d simulation of a rolling ball

In summary: I'm looking into a software that can do this type of simulation. I'm unsure about the accuracy yet. I would like it to be reasonably accurate, but not precise. Would you have any recommendations?In summary, you are looking for a software that can model putting a golf ball from any position on the green, looking for a path line to the hole, and where to aim. You are also looking for accuracy within 5 or 10%.
scottla
How did you find PF?: Google

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to simulate a golf ball rolling on a green. The green will have been scanned using a 3d scanner by an Engineering Surveyor. I'm trying to model putting a golf ball from any position on the green, looking for a path line to the hole, and where to aim.
For example, aim 3 ft to the left and 2 ft short (assuming there is a slope left-to-right and slightly downhill).

Any advice on the type of software and how to do it, would be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

How much golf have you played? How can you incorporate what you know from your time on the courses into this type of simulation? How accurate do you want this to be, and what variables do you think you should consider to try to achieve that level of accuracy?

using a 3d scanner, the green can be mapped pretty accurately, within a few mm. I want the putt path to be fairly accurate within 5 or 10%. It's more of a guide than an exact. Things like wind speed probably can't be taken into consideration, but friction of the grass can be calculated, so the accuracy won't be fullproof. but hopefully pretty close

Okay, so you've never actually played golf or putted greens. That's okay, but it will limit your thinking on this a bit. Maybe it's time to head to the local par-3 course for some research... :wink:
scottla said:
using a 3d scanner, the green can be mapped pretty accurately, within a few mm. I want the putt path to be fairly accurate within 5 or 10%. It's more of a guide than an exact. Things like wind speed probably can't be taken into consideration, but friction of the grass can be calculated, so the accuracy won't be fullproof. but hopefully pretty close
How are you going to calculate the "friction" of the grass on the greens?

Not sure yet. looking for recommendations

berkeman said:
Okay, so you've never actually played golf or putted greens. That's okay, but it will limit your thinking on this a bit. Maybe it's time to head to the local par-3 course for some research... :wink:

How are you going to calculate the "friction" of the grass on the greens?

Sorry, yes I'm played golf for years. and wasted many putts in the process!

Likes berkeman

1. How does a 3D simulation of a rolling ball work?

A 3D simulation of a rolling ball uses computer graphics software to create a virtual environment and simulate the physics of a ball rolling on a surface. This includes calculating the ball's position, velocity, and acceleration based on factors such as gravity, friction, and collisions with other objects. The simulation then renders the movements and interactions of the ball in a realistic 3D environment.

2. What is the purpose of a 3D simulation of a rolling ball?

The purpose of a 3D simulation of a rolling ball is to study and understand the behavior and mechanics of a rolling ball in a controlled virtual environment. This can be used for various purposes such as testing and improving game physics, predicting real-world scenarios, and creating realistic visual effects in films and animations.

3. How accurate are 3D simulations of rolling balls?

The accuracy of a 3D simulation of a rolling ball depends on the quality of the software and the inputs used. With advanced simulation software and accurate inputs, the simulation can be very close to real-world behavior. However, there may still be slight discrepancies due to simplifications and approximations made in the simulation.

4. Can a 3D simulation of a rolling ball be used for educational purposes?

Yes, 3D simulations of rolling balls can be used for educational purposes to help students understand concepts of physics and motion. By manipulating different variables and observing the resulting movements of the ball, students can gain a better understanding of how these factors affect the behavior of a rolling ball in a 3D environment.

5. Are there any limitations to 3D simulations of rolling balls?

There are some limitations to 3D simulations of rolling balls, such as the need for accurate inputs and assumptions made in the simulation. Additionally, the complexity of the simulation may also affect its accuracy and performance. However, with advancements in technology, these limitations are continuously being improved upon.