Thermal simulation with SolidWorks (looking for tutorials/sources)

In summary: Your name]In summary, Amy is looking for resources on thermal simulation in Solidworks. She has already searched through YouTube and Google, but has only found specific applications and not a comprehensive learning guide. She has also checked her university's library and found only one book, which focuses on modeling rather than simulation. She is familiar with other CAD software but has no experience with simulation. She is looking for a book or other medium that can explain thermal simulation from the ground up. She has also posted on several forums for help and is open to any suggestions.
arianabedi
Dear PF-ers (whats a thing right?),

Alright as per previous experience, I ask what I'm looking for first, then explain (for those lazy readers):

I am looking for some books/ebooks/sources specifically relating to simulation (Thermal) in Solidworks.

I've gone through all videos on Youtube and done my google. All I've found is very specific thermal applications and nothing that teaches form ground up. I've already gone to my University's library and got myself the only book there is on it (which is modeling not simulation, yet still useful in my case).

EDIT: oh and as your reading this, I am posting on more forums (inc SW's) if you have any forums that you think might help, link them to me.

Now, the boring my-life-story-part:

I've been working on SolidWorks 2013 for an internship and all I do everyday is run thermal simulations on a LED heat sink model and then thinker with it to achieve better efficiency. Within my university course (MEng), I've learned modeling with Pro Engineer and I am famillar with all the other CAD softwares out there (from sketchup to Inventor and AUTOCAD to Maya and 3D max). However I've never done any sort of simulation. I was more on the art side of 3D modeling (Modeling for games and concepts with Zbrush/Adobe creative suite) however I feel like its a great experience to do something more related to what I'm learning during classes. Now don't get me wrong thermal simulations aren't too difficult, I underestand the logical parts of adding heat source and managing thermal boundaries such as convection and radiation emission types but they are simply my own knowledge and for all I know they could be 110% wrong. Therefore I am looking for a book (or any medium) that explain thermal simulation ground up! Other simulations such as stress or flow are a little easier to understand since I've done a lot of laboratory experiments with them so I'm familiar with the process.

Any help is appreciated.
-A

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
my

Dear Amy,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with thermal simulation in Solidworks. As a scientist who has also worked with Solidworks in the past, I can understand your frustration in finding comprehensive resources on this topic.

I would recommend checking out the Solidworks Simulation Help section, which provides detailed information and tutorials on thermal simulation. Additionally, there are several books available on Amazon that may be helpful, such as "SolidWorks Simulation 2017 Black Book" by Gaurav Verma and "Thermal Analysis with SOLIDWORKS Simulation 2018 and Flow Simulation 2018" by Paul Kurowski.

In terms of online forums, I would suggest checking out the Solidworks Forum, as well as the Thermal Analysis Forum on Eng-Tips. These forums have knowledgeable members who may be able to provide additional resources or insights based on their own experiences.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in your thermal simulation endeavors.

1. What is thermal simulation and why is it important?

Thermal simulation is a computer-aided engineering (CAE) tool used to predict and analyze the thermal behavior of a product or system. It is important because it allows engineers and designers to optimize the thermal performance of their designs, reducing the risk of costly errors and improving product reliability.

2. How does SolidWorks perform thermal simulation?

SolidWorks uses the finite element analysis (FEA) method to simulate thermal behavior. It breaks the model into smaller elements and calculates temperature distributions and heat flow within each element, taking into account material properties, boundary conditions, and other factors.

3. What are the steps for setting up a thermal simulation in SolidWorks?

The basic steps for setting up a thermal simulation in SolidWorks include defining the geometry, applying material properties, setting boundary conditions, meshing the model, running the simulation, and analyzing the results. It is important to have a clear understanding of the design and its intended operating conditions before beginning the simulation.

4. Are there any tutorials or resources available for learning thermal simulation with SolidWorks?

Yes, there are many tutorials and resources available online for learning thermal simulation with SolidWorks. Some popular sources include the SolidWorks Knowledge Base, YouTube tutorials, and online courses offered by SolidWorks and other third-party providers. It is recommended to practice with sample models and seek guidance from experienced users to improve proficiency.

5. How accurate are the results of thermal simulation in SolidWorks?

The accuracy of the results depends on various factors such as the complexity of the model, the accuracy of material properties and boundary conditions, and the mesh density. In general, SolidWorks thermal simulation is considered to be reasonably accurate and is often used in industry for design validation and optimization. However, it is important to validate the simulation results with physical testing before finalizing the design.