3rd right foot washes up on BC beach

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
In summary, three severed right feet have been washing up on the Gulf Islands in recent months. There is still no clear indication of what may have caused the limbs to be cut off, but police are investigating any possible links to missing person cases.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but I highly doubt it is misogyny.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
People don't rape people because they hate them. Men don't rape men in prison because they hate them. People rape people because they can't control their want to feel powerful.

Yes, power is certainly in the mix. But wouldn't there need to be some extreme hate, too?

There are lots of circumstances a person wants to control another person -- anyone who is a parent knows that feeling (trying to control a toddler is especially challenging!). But a simple need to control doesn't go anywhere a compulsion to rape.

(I'm going to have to review this thread to remember how a discussion about finding feet ended up as a discussion on the root cause of rape!)

A forth foot was found yesterday, or did someone already mention that.

VICTORIA, British Columbia, May 23 (UPI) -- A severed human foot in a shoe was found on the Pacific shore of a British Columbia island, the fourth in less than a year, Canadian police said.

RCMP Cpl. Nycki Basra said the incident is being treated as suspicious and will be compared for similarities with the first three feet by members of the Richmond RCMP Serious Crime Unit and the B.C. Coroners Office.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/05/23/fourth_foot_in_a_year_washes_ashore/8283/

Last edited:
Wonder if there are other feet that haven't been found or beached yet?

lisab said:
Yes, power is certainly in the mix. But wouldn't there need to be some extreme hate, too?

Doubt it. When someone slips a girl a roofie, it's not because he hates her, it's because he wants to get in her pants.

Most rapes happen between something like boyfriend/girlfriend, right? I don't think two people would get to that status if one hated the other.

Maybe a sociopath similar to a serial killer would rape because of misogyny, but your average one-time rape is probably because the guy couldn't control himself. Just like most murderers aren't repeat offenders and are pretty spur-of-the-moment.

The misogyny line comes in with so-called feminists* who are actually misandrists.

There are lots of circumstances a person wants to control another person -- anyone who is a parent knows that feeling (trying to control a toddler is especially challenging!). But a simple need to control doesn't go anywhere a compulsion to rape.

No, of course not. Therefore if a person simply wanted to control another person, it doesn't automatically imply rape. Of course, it can, too. Just that I don't think it's the root cause in every rape.

*Ugh feminazis. You know, feminists have a real goal they are striving for that anybody who had a modicum of intelligence should support. And then you have feminazis like this:

http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html (Swearing)

Read the comments if you don't get the article because you don't watch the show.

Moonbear said:
They said no sign of "forcible" removal of the foot. Apparently, they're considering the possibility that the feet are just popping off of their own free will or something. :confused:

Definitely doesn't make me feel any better about those morning aches and pains.:rolleyes:

Poop-Loops said:
Most rapes happen between something like boyfriend/girlfriend, right?

I don't know. Have you got any statistics?

cristo said:
I don't know. Have you got any statistics?
Secondary source: http://www.paralumun.com/issuesrapestats.htm

Approximately 28% of victims are raped by husbands or boyfriends, 35% by acquaintances, and 5% by other relatives. (Violence against Women, Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Dept. of Justice, 1994)

Maybe somebody is trying to send a message. - A kind of footnote.

The silly puns are getting completely out of hand! I'm going to go out on a limb here - all you shoddy punsters ought to be booted out of this thread.

Sixth foot was discovered. Weird heh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7463305.stm

When two unrelated human feet washed up on the beaches of two small islands north of Vancouver in six days last August, a spokesman for the Mounties said the odds of it happening were a million to one. This week the number of feet found rose to six.

They were all encased in trainers, and five out of the six are right feet. Police say the first five feet do not appear to have been severed, which could rule out foul play.

DNA has been collected from the first feet, but police say that there has been no match to anyone on their missing persons database.

They have 6 unmatching feet and they think they can somehow rule out foul play just because they weren't cut off? Where exactly do they think the rest of the body is? Unless that river is frequently flooding a graveyard, there are 6 bodies somewhere with missing feet, and if the feet weren't cut off and are still in sneakers (i.e., this isn't some medical waste disposal company taking a short cut with disposing of amputated feet from a hospital), how exactly does any of that rule out foul play? Did they really think someone was just cutting off people's feet and leaving them otherwise alive? Maybe the feet are becoming detached after decomposition rather than being cut off, but that still means there's a dead body it's become detached from. :confused: Perhaps it's time for them to bring in some real investigators? It doesn't sound like they have the brightest bunch working on this case if that's what they truly think.

A foot hating beaver. That'll give the evolutionary biologists a headache.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think it's a mutant beaver

:smile: Maybe it's trying to drum up business for wooden legs it's making?

Moonbear said:
They have 6 unmatching feet and they think they can somehow rule out foul play just because they weren't cut off?

THat seems to be more the of the journalist's agenda -- they too must toe the line.

It seems the Achilles heel of this thread is a propensity for puns.

Honestly guys, stop the puns before this thread is given the boot.

Sorry, that last one had been used already, I feel sort of defeeted.

Now we are on the right track.

sixth foot = hoax

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/06/19/bc-foot-no-human.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to see the actual footage.

Moonbear said:
Perhaps it's time for them to bring in some real investigators? It doesn't sound like they have the brightest bunch working on this case if that's what they truly think.
Yes, it does seem like they're stumped.

Size 12 sneakers, hmmm. Sounds like part of a soccer team that has been defeeted...They really need to get a good detective to look at this case, someone who can really get a toehold on the facts, look at the bare bones of the case and plod thru and not be disjointed by the bizarre facts.jmho.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think it's a mutant beaver

Does this mean an end to kitty-footing around?

Danger said:
Does this mean an end to kitty-footing around?

...oh my god...:smile:

Knock it off, Danger, I'm at work here! I can't be giggling!

Missing Feet And Ocean Currents

This is my first time on this board, but i felt this is the place to come for definitive information about ocean currents, surface or otherwise.

You may have read in the news about the severed feet turning up in the east of Canada near Vancouver.
My theory is that they may be being washed down from either the polar region using a surface current, or that they are washing in from russia using the North Pacific current.

CAN YOU HELP PLEASE.
Thank you.

Hey, they finally got a matching pair!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080710.wfeet0710/BNStory/National/home

Last edited by a moderator:

TUBERAT said:
This is my first time on this board, but i felt this is the place to come for definitive information about ocean currents, surface or otherwise.

You may have read in the news about the severed feet turning up in the east of Canada near Vancouver.
My theory is that they may be being washed down from either the polar region using a surface current, or that they are washing in from russia using the North Pacific current.

CAN YOU HELP PLEASE.
Thank you.
I think the prevailing theory is far more likely - that they're all from victims of the plane that crashed in the vicinity a few months before the first foot showed up. Theory goes that there's been some dredging there recently and it likely disturbed the ocean bed.

That is true, BUT...

...After analyzing DNA samples from the feet and members of the crash victims' families, police determined the feet did not belong to Arnie Feast or Fabian Bedard, two of four people who went missing after the crash.

The DNA from the family of brothers Doug and Trevor DeCock is still being analyzed, said Linteau.

The DNA tests tell little else about the feet's original owners, said forensic scientist Dean Hilderbrand. The type of analysis being used, the most common DNA test among North American law enforcement, does not indicate the race of the subject or the date of death, he said.

This is what first got me interested

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/21/canada

This is the bit i like, never mind the cops, just ask a local

...Back at Westham Island, the man who found foot number five has few doubts about its origin.

"This is coming down from the river, no question about it," he said. "There's someone doing this all right. Think about it: if they tied a chain around someone's ankle and threw them overboard, the foot would just pop off. That could explain it. Maybe they got a lot of bodies stored up in a container and they got washed out. We don't know. There's a lot of stuff goes on over there," he added, nodding toward the city.

One person's misfortune, however, did bring him some reward.

"This is private property you're on," he said. "We've had just about everything here the last couple of days, helicopters, boats, TV. We even took a photograph and sold it to the TV for $800. If they can afford to fly people around the world to look at this, there must be some money for a photograph.":smile:

Back