8-point charges on a vertice of a cube

In summary, I attempted to solve the problem of finding the forces between adjacent charges by using Coulomb's Law and the inverse square law. I found that the body diagonal distance was up by a factor of sqrt(3) due to the fact that the charges are separated by a distance up by a factor of sqrt(2). Additionally, the force between two adjacent charges is down by a factor of 2 due to the inverse square law. Thanks for the help guys!
seanster1324

Homework Statement

I attached a picture to make it easier...

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law: F=k(q1*q2)/(r)^2

a^2+b^2=c^2

Charge properties

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded a picture of one of the cleaner sheets of work I used so far...Basically, I suppose I'm at a loss at figuring out where to start, and where to finish. I thought I was on the right track by calculating the magnitude of each charge affecting the vertex A, but apparently it hasn't got me very far.

Attachments

• 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 478
  • IMAG0731.jpg
    IMAG0731.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
seanster1324 said:

Homework Statement

I attached a picture to make it easier...

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law: F=k(q1*q2)/(r)^2

a^2+b^2=c^2

Charge properties

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded a picture of one of the cleaner sheets of work I used so far...Basically, I suppose I'm at a loss at figuring out where to start, and where to finish. I thought I was on the right track by calculating the magnitude of each charge affecting the vertex A, but apparently it hasn't got me very far.

I would start by calculating the force between two adjacent charge - for example the one directly below A. All the other forces and components will be fractions of that - the size of the fraction determined by the different distances involved. [and angles when looking at components].
That will keep the arithmetic simple and you may be able to keep track of the forces.

Okay, I understand finding the force between the two adjacent ones. No problem. And I get that the other components are fractions of them, but how would I go about calculating them simply?

seanster1324 said:
Okay, I understand finding the force between the two adjacent ones. No problem. And I get that the other components are fractions of them, but how would I go about calculating them simply?

For "diagonal" charges, the separation is up by a factor of sqrt(2), so the force is down by a factor of 2 courtesy of the inverse square law [there is a factor of R2 in the denominator of the formula.
The body diagonal distance is up by a factor of sqrt(3)

PeterO said:
For "diagonal" charges, the separation is up by a factor of sqrt(2), so the force is down by a factor of 2 courtesy of the inverse square law [there is a factor of R2 in the denominator of the formula.
The body diagonal distance is up by a factor of sqrt(3)

You guys on this forum are the best! Thank you!

Related to 8-point charges on a vertice of a cube

1. What is the total electric field at a point in the center of the cube?

The total electric field at the center of the cube would be zero, as the electric fields from each of the 8 charges would cancel each other out due to the symmetry of the cube.

2. How do the electric fields from the 8 charges combine to affect the electric potential at each of the vertices?

The electric fields from the 8 charges would add together vectorially to affect the electric potential at each of the vertices. This means that the electric potential at a vertex would be the sum of the electric potential contributions from each of the 8 charges.

3. Can the charges be rearranged on the vertices to create a net electric field at a point in the center of the cube?

Yes, the charges can be rearranged on the vertices to create a net electric field at the center of the cube. This can be achieved by placing equal and opposite charges on opposite vertices, creating a dipole moment which would result in a non-zero electric field at the center.

4. What would happen to the electric potential at each vertex if one of the charges is replaced with its opposite charge?

If one of the charges is replaced with its opposite charge, the electric potential at each vertex would change. The electric potential at the vertex where the charge was replaced would decrease, while the electric potential at the opposite vertex would increase.

5. Is the electric potential at each vertex affected by the distance between the charges on the vertices?

Yes, the electric potential at each vertex is affected by the distance between the charges on the vertices. The farther apart the charges are, the weaker the electric potential at each vertex will be due to the inverse square law of electric potential.