A 9 volt battery is hooked up to two resistors in series

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 9 volt battery and two resistors in series, one with a resistance of 5 ohms and the other with a resistance of 10 ohms. The voltage at location B, which is marked on the circuit, is determined to be 6 volts based on the current flow and voltage drop calculations.
Curious314
1. A 9 volt battery is hooked up to two resistors in series. One has a resistance of 5 ohms, and the other has a resistance of 10 ohms. Several locations along the circuit are marked with letters, as shown above. If the voltage is zero at the negative terminal of the battery, the voltage at location B is
diagrama pregunta 9.JPG

Homework Equations

I1=I2=Itotal
I=V/R
V=I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

I=9volts/(5+10)ohms
I=0.6A

Now we have the current in the entire circuit
with that:

Vb=0.6A*5
V=3volts

so here is my question,
at B there is 9 voltsw(wich is the total of voltage)- 3 Volts(wich is the ampunt of wolts that we took with the resistence) = 6vots?

is this the right approach or is 3 volts at location b?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes :smile: . V = IR gives you the voltage drop as you go from one side of a resistor to the other side if you go in the direction of the current. The left side of the 5-ohm resistor is connected to the + side of the battery, so a point at the left side of the resistor is at the same potential as the + side of the battery (9V). As you go through the resistor to get to B, the voltage drops by 3 volts, giving you a potential of 6 V at B.

Thank you so much! :D

1. How does connecting a 9 volt battery to two resistors in series affect the overall resistance?

Connecting two resistors in series will increase the overall resistance. This is because the current flowing through the circuit has to pass through both resistors, creating a larger resistance than if there was only one resistor.

2. What is the relationship between the voltage of the battery and the current flowing through the resistors?

The voltage of the battery is directly proportional to the current flowing through the resistors. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

3. How can the total resistance of the circuit be calculated when using two resistors in series?

The total resistance of a circuit with two resistors in series can be calculated by adding the individual resistances together. The formula for calculating total resistance in a series circuit is R = R1 + R2, where R is the total resistance and R1 and R2 are the resistances of the individual resistors.

4. What happens if one of the resistors in the series circuit is removed?

If one of the resistors in the series circuit is removed, the overall resistance of the circuit will decrease. This is because there is now only one resistor for the current to pass through, creating a smaller resistance than before.

5. How does changing the value of the resistors affect the current in a series circuit?

The current in a series circuit is inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa. Therefore, changing the value of the resistors will affect the current in the circuit.