A basic conservation of energy question

In summary, the minimum kinetic energy of a helium nucleus emitted from a uranium nucleus is 5.6 pJ and this is the lower limit because it is the result of the electrical potential energy between the two particles. This is based on the conservation of momentum and the concept of escape velocity, taking into account the charges of the particles involved.
unified
Member advised to use the formatting template for questions posted to the homework forums
The question asks: Uranium nuclei are unstable and decay by emitting a helium nucleus, which contains two protons and two neutrons. Suppose the original nucleus has 92 protons and 146 neutrons before it emits the helium nucleus, and that the helium nucleus has an knknown speed as it departs from the surface of the remaining nucleus, which is spherical with a radius of about 7.4 fm. What is the helium nucleus's minimum kinetic energy far from the emitting nucleus and why is this the lower limit?

My attempt at a solution:

First, note that m_p = 1.673 * 10^-27kg, m_n = 1.675 * 10^-27kg.
also, e = 1.602 * 10^-19C

Initially the energy of the system is 0. We can ignore gravitational effects because they are very small compared to the potential energy from the electrical attraction. Therefore, KE_f = (kq_1q_2/r) + (1/2)m_1v_1^2 + (1/2)m_2v_2^2.

To calculate q_1 and q_2 I took q_2 = 2 * e, and q_1 = -q_2.
By conservation of momentum, m_1v_1 = m_2v_2 so that v_1 = (m_2/m_1)*v_2.
If you let r = 7.4 fm, and plug all of this in, and set KE_f = 0, you will find that (1/2)m_2v_2^2 = .12 pJ.

The answer in the book is 5.6 pJ. I don't see how they get this, and I'm confused about the question asking why the energy is minimal. Based on the equations, the minimal kinetic energy occurs when r --> infinity, in which case the kinetic energy goes to 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that they are assuming that the uranium remnant remains fixed in place (not a terrible assumption if the atom is held in a lattice of other atoms).

For the second part, consider the concept of escape velocity.

Likes unified
gneill said:
I think that they are assuming that the uranium remnant remains fixed in place (not a terrible assumption if the atom is held in a lattice of other atoms).

For the second part, consider the concept of escape velocity.

Even when I follow escape velocity derivation where the potential is an electric potential, I still get the same answer I have written above. The only thing I can imagine is that I'm making a charge calculation error, but I don't believe it.

Can you show details of your calculation for a fixed nucleus? I'm seeing the book's result.

Likes unified
The equation is -4kq_p^2/r + (1/2)*m2*(v2^2) = 0 right? where q_p is the charge of a proton, and m2 is 2(m_p + m_n). It's just plug and chug from there to solve for the kinetic energy which is the second term on the left hand side. I get .12pj

The charge of the nucleus and the charge of the alpha particle both contribute to the electrical potential energy. Your first term would give the electric potential (Volts), not the potential energy (Joules).

Likes unified
Look closer, it's a squared term. Right? They have equal but opposite charges?

unified said:
Look closer, it's a squared term. Right? They have equal but opposite charges?
No they don't. The nucleus has +90 protons, the alpha +2.

Likes unified
the potential energy equation is kq1q2/r. Positive terms for both q1 and q2 would result in a positive term and would result in nonsense. v would have to be 0 in that case.

##PE_o + KE_o = PE_f + KE_f##

Assuming the initial KE is zero (alpha particle just detaches without initial velocity), and assuming that the PE at infinity is zero (definition) then

##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} + 0 = 0 + \frac{1}{2} m v^2##

##k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} = \frac{1}{2} m v^2##

Likes unified
I literally just figured that out as you wrote it. It all makes sense now. Thanks a lot for the discussion!

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does energy conservation work?

Energy conservation works by decreasing the amount of energy used to perform a specific task. This can be achieved through various methods such as using energy-efficient appliances, reducing energy waste, and practicing sustainable habits.

3. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to reduce our overall energy consumption and dependence on non-renewable resources. It also helps to decrease carbon emissions and combat climate change.

4. How can I conserve energy in my daily life?

There are many simple ways to conserve energy in your daily life, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and adjusting your thermostat to save energy. You can also support renewable energy sources and practice recycling and waste reduction.

5. What are some examples of energy conservation in action?

Examples of energy conservation in action include using solar panels to generate electricity, implementing energy-efficient building designs, and using hybrid or electric vehicles. Governments and organizations also often implement energy conservation policies and programs to reduce energy usage on a larger scale.