A box slides down a plank, Find its velocity

But the mistake was in the x-component of the acceleration. It should be a=gsinθ-μgcosθ. And when you plug this in, you get a=0.816, and then v=1.017. But if you use energy conservation, you get v=1.017 as well. So, your initial answer was right, and the error was in the x-acceleration.In summary, the conversation was about finding the velocity of a box at the end of an inclined plank with a length of 1.2m and a vertical height of 0.6m, given a coefficient of friction of 0.40. The equations used were a=Fnet/m, C^2=a^
Girn261

Attachments

• 20170819_135458_HDR.jpg
    20170819_135458_HDR.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
1.2 m length of plank.

haruspex said:
1.2 m length of plank.

hmm, still get wrong answer.. With 1.2m being the length of the incline, I get 1.039 for the "x" length. and with V being 1.3544

Last edited by a moderator:
Please show your working. I solved it two different ways (one of which was your method using plank length = 1.2) and both give same answer (which wasn't 1.3544). So most likely an arithmetic error somewhere.

CWatters said:
Please show your working. I solved it two different ways (one of which was your method using plank length = 1.2) and both give same answer (which wasn't 1.3544). So most likely an arithmetic error somewhere.
1.2^2=a^2+0.6m^2
a=1.039

v^2=u^2+2(a)(s)
0+(2)(.8829)(1.039)
sqrt 1.834 = 1.3544

Girn261 said:
1.2^2=a^2+0.6m^2
a=1.039
v^2=u^2+2(a)(s)
0+(2)(.8829)(1.039)
sqrt 1.834 = 1.3544

It's confusing using "a" for two things.

The acceleration isn't 0.8829 m/s/s. Show how you got that.

The distance the object moves isn't 1.039m it's 1.2m.

Sorry got to go to bed now. It's nearly midnight here.

ATTACH]
cmUPI2t.jpg
CWatters said:
It's confusing using "a" for two things.

The acceleration isn't 0.8829 m/s/s. Show how you got that.

The distance the object moves isn't 1.039m it's 1.2m.

Sorry got to go to bed now. It's nearly midnight here.

Please see picture for how I got acceleration

Girn261 said:
ATTACH]
cmUPI2t.jpg

Please see picture for how I got acceleration
This seems to be your first picture again, with the wrong plank length.

haruspex said:
This seems to be your first picture again, with the wrong plank length.

I know, just quoting to show how I got acceleration. With plank as A or B in pythagorean theorem, I still get wrong answer

Girn261 said:
I know, just quoting to show how I got acceleration. With plank as A or B in pythagorean theorem, I still get wrong answer
Please post your working for how you get the wrong acceleration eventhough using the right plank length.
And, please, not as an image. Take the trouble to type your algebra so that people can read it much more easily and quote parts to point out errors.

Likes CWatters
Girn261 said:
I know, just quoting to show how I got acceleration.

The equation for the acceleration contains terms Sin and Cos, you need to redo these calculations because they are also affected by the error with the plank length.

I figured out my mistakes. Thank you for everyones help, I really appreciate this forum.

What answer did you get?

Just for info, the alternative method I used was to apply conservation of energy.

The final KE = Initial PE - Wf

where
Wf = the work done against friction = L * μmgCosθ
L = length of plank

so..

0.5mv2 = mgh - μmgLCosθ

mass cancels.
Rearrange to give

v = SQRT(2g(h - uLCosθ))

1. What is the formula for finding the velocity of a box sliding down a plank?

The formula for finding the velocity of a box sliding down a plank is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the plank.

2. How does the weight of the box affect its velocity?

The weight of the box does not directly affect its velocity. The velocity is determined by the height of the plank and the acceleration due to gravity. However, a heavier box may have a greater force acting on it, which could impact its overall motion.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only refers to the magnitude of motion.

4. How does friction affect the velocity of the box?

Friction can impact the velocity of the box by slowing it down. As the box slides down the plank, friction between the box and the plank will act in the opposite direction of motion, causing the box to lose some of its velocity.

5. Can the velocity of the box change while it is sliding down the plank?

Yes, the velocity of the box can change while it is sliding down the plank. If there is a change in the height of the plank or the amount of friction acting on the box, the velocity will change accordingly. Additionally, if an external force is applied to the box, it could also impact its velocity.