What Is the Correct Formula for Stopping Distance in Physics Homework?

In summary: So the right answer is c since it provides the equation for the stopping distance unlike d, sorry for the confusion.In summary, the correct statement for the given scenario is c. Stopping distance = 961 - 12d, as it is derived from the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad and provides the equation for the stopping distance. Option d, The velocity v(t) = d/t, is not correct as it only gives the average velocity, not the velocity at time t.
Coop

Homework Statement

The driver of a car at 31 m/s sees (t = 0, x = 0) an obstacle down the road and brakes. The car slows down with a constant deceleration which has a magnitude of 6 m/s^2. Select the correct statement below (let d = stopping distance, all units are SI)

a. The position x(t) = 31t + 3t^2
b. The velocity v(t) = 31 - 3t
c. Stopping distance = 961 - 12d
d. The velocity v(t) = d/t
e. None of the above

Homework Equations

Vf = Vi + at
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Xf = Xi + Vi*t + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. The position x(t) = 31t + 3t^2

is not correct, because Xf = Xi + Vi*t + .5at^2, so x(t) = 31t - 3t^2

b. The velocity v(t) = 31 - 3t

is not correct, because Vf = Vi + at, so v(t) = 31 - 6t

c. Stopping distance = 961 - 12d

is correct, because Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, so 0 = 31^2 + 2(-6)d = 961 - 12d => d = 80 m

d. The velocity v(t) = d/t

is correct, because the velocity at time t can solved by dividing the distance traveled over the time taken

But the answer key says c. is correct, why is d. not also correct? Is it because dividing d/t would only give the AVERAGE velocity, not the velocity at time t?

Thanks,
Coop

Physics news on Phys.org
Coop said:
Is it because dividing d/t would only give the AVERAGE velocity, not the velocity at time t?
Exactly.

Likes 1 person

c cannot be correct unless you did dot copy it exactly as in the book.

d IS the stopping distance. So c will read
d=961-12*d
which is not true, is it?

Yes, nasu is correct. Choice c makes no sense. (I didn't read it before, I'm afraid.) Did you copy it correctly?

It's from a practice test made by my prof., directly choice c reads "The equation for the stopping distance is 961 - 12d = 0"

Coop said:
It's from a practice test made by my prof., directly choice c reads "The equation for the stopping distance is 961 - 12d = 0"
That's more like it. (Quite different from what you wrote the first time.)

Oh my mistake, I didn't realize, but now that you guys explained it I can see the difference

1. How does a car brake on a road?

When a driver presses the brake pedal, it activates the brake system of the car. The brake pads, which are attached to the wheels, then press against the brake discs, creating friction and slowing down the rotation of the wheels. This ultimately results in the car coming to a stop.

2. What factors affect a car's braking ability on a road?

The condition of the road, the weight of the car, the condition of the tires, and the speed of the car are all factors that can affect a car's braking ability. Wet or icy roads, worn out brake pads, and excessive speed can all make it more difficult for a car to come to a stop.

3. How long does it take for a car to come to a complete stop when braking?

The time it takes for a car to come to a complete stop when braking depends on several factors, such as the speed of the car, the condition of the road, and the efficiency of the brake system. On average, a car traveling at 60 miles per hour will take around 120 feet to come to a complete stop.

4. What happens if a car brakes suddenly on a road?

If a car brakes suddenly on a road, the wheels can lock up and cause the car to skid. This can result in a loss of control and potentially lead to a collision. It is important for drivers to brake gradually and steadily to avoid sudden stops and potential accidents.

5. How can I improve my car's braking performance on a road?

Regular maintenance is key to improving a car's braking performance on a road. This includes checking and replacing brake pads and discs when necessary, keeping tires properly inflated, and avoiding excessive speed. Additionally, practicing safe driving habits, such as maintaining a safe following distance, can also help improve braking performance.