A chaotic orbit of a satellite around two planets question

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a non-man-made satellite orbiting chaotically around two planets and whether it will ever cross the same orbital path twice. Some participants believe that if the system is chaotic, it will not cross the same path again due to tiny changes in initial conditions, while others argue that it is possible depending on the definition of "crossing". The planar three-body problem is mentioned as a well-known example of chaotic motion. The conversation ends with a clarification that the satellite will not be on the same orbital path twice.
abejackson

Homework Statement

If there's a satellite(not man-made although I wonder it would matter) is chaotically orbiting around two planets, will it ever cross the same orbital path twice or not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think if the system is chaotic, it will not ever cross the same orbital path but I really want to know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the system as a whole (both planets, their primary, and all other perturbing influences), if the system returns to precisely the same conditions once, it will do so again and again on a regular basis, and the trajectory will be periodic and not chaotic.

This presumes that the system is not evolving in some way that could drive the satellite into repeating its trajectory a fixed number of times when particular resonances occur (suppose one of the bodies was shedding mass and resonances occur for specific ratios of masses in the system).

abejackson is not asking whether the system will return to the same state. He is asking whether it will "cross the same orbital path twice or not?"

What if the motion is planar?

I'm not sure that I didn't interpret his intended meaning correctly :smile: Perhaps he will clarify and tell me I'm all wet.:biggrin:

D H said:
abejackson is not asking whether the system will return to the same state. He is asking whether it will "cross the same orbital path twice or not?"

What if the motion is planar?

I think what he's getting at is that if the orbit returns to it's precise initial conditions, then it will follow the exact path. Any minuscule change in any of the initial conditions (e.g., mass, velocity) will cause the orbit to continue on a different path.

Theoretically it may be possible to cross the same path, but I'm not sure it can be proved

I know what gneill was talking about. The OP asked about the trajectory crossing itself, which to me means reaching the same point but with different velocities.

This certainly can happen if the motion is planar, and that the planar three body problem is chaotic is well-known.

I guess this is a three-body problem, then? I think that the satellite would never cross the same orbital path but how would I explain this is someone asks me why?

What do you mean by "crossing"? If you mean something akin to the intersection of two roads, the answer is yes. If you mean something akin to taking an on-ramp to a freeway, the answer is no.

oh my mistake.
I meant the satellite will never be on the same orbital path twice.

1. What is a chaotic orbit?

A chaotic orbit is an orbit that is highly sensitive to initial conditions and is unpredictable in the long term. It is characterized by constantly changing trajectories and irregular behavior.

2. Can a satellite have a chaotic orbit around two planets?

Yes, a satellite can have a chaotic orbit around two planets. This can occur when the gravitational forces between the two planets and the satellite are complex and constantly changing, leading to unpredictable movements.

3. How does the presence of two planets affect a satellite's orbit?

The presence of two planets can significantly affect a satellite's orbit. The gravitational pull from each planet can cause the satellite to experience varying forces and alter its trajectory, leading to a chaotic orbit.

4. How does the mass of the planets impact the chaotic orbit of a satellite?

The mass of the planets plays a crucial role in determining the chaotic orbit of a satellite. The larger the mass of the planets, the stronger the gravitational forces, which can result in more significant changes in the satellite's orbit.

5. Can a chaotic orbit of a satellite be predicted?

No, a chaotic orbit of a satellite cannot be predicted accurately. Due to the unpredictable nature of chaotic systems, it is impossible to determine the exact trajectory of a satellite in a chaotic orbit in the long term.