Find Density Given Period of Orbit

In summary: The G is a 6.67 E-11 in the denominator. (I think you might have incorrectly used 6.67 E+11. G=6.67 E-11). It will get multiplied by the 9108^2 and the result is approximately 5.2 E-3 in the denominator. There is a ## 3 \pi ## in the numerator so the result will be ((3)(3.14))/(5.2 E-3). Next step is to convert this to a single number. Please try to verify these estimates. The result is in kilograms per cubic meter. (To compare to the density of water, you need to convert to grams per cubic centimeter
Just144Ice

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit very close to the surface of a spherical planet. The period of the orbit is 2.53 hours. What is the density of the planet? Assume that the planet has a uniform density.

Homework Equations

T^2=(4pi^2r^3)/GM
V=4/3piR^3
Density= Mass/ Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have calculated the amount of seconds in the orbit, but that is where my understanding of this comes to an abrupt halt.
How could I get the radius without the speed of the satellite? Is it not true that the satellite could orbit ANY planet in 2.53 hours if it had enough speed?
Some equations call for the gravity of planet, which is not given.
I guess you could say that I need a little "Barney-style" walkthrough on this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing ## M=density \cdot V ## and put it into your T^2 equation. Also ## R ## and ## r ## are the same in this problem. Do you see how the ## R's ## will cancel? You can look up the value for ## G ##. (It should be in your textbook). When ## G ## is M.K.S., the density will be in kilograms/meter^3. (assuming T is in seconds).

Eliminate R from the equations:
##T^2=(4\pi^2R^3)/GM##
##V=\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3##

Likes Charles Link
Keith_McClary said:
Eliminate R from the equations:
##T^2=(4\pi^2R^3)/GM##
##V=\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3##
Ok so,
I've got:
9108^2=G((4pi^2)/(D*(4/3)pi))

Just144Ice said:
Ok so,
I've got:
G=6.67 E-11 in M.K.S. units if I remember it correctly. You can solve for D, but your ## G ## belongs in the denominator.

Charles Link said:
G=6.67 E-11 in M.K.S. units if I remember it correctly. You can solve for D.
Where the heck did you find that?

Charles Link said:
G=6.67 E-11 in M.K.S. units if I remember it correctly. You can solve for D, but your ## G ## belongs in the denominator.
Gettin there:
9108^2=(4pi^2)/(6.67e11(D)(4/3)pi)

Pardon my slow advance on the problem, this is my first time taking physics, and I've been out of school for 8 years.
I'm not too savvy on how to isolate the D out of the denominator.

Just144Ice said:
Pardon my slow advance on the problem, this is my first time taking physics, and I've been out of school for 8 years.
I'm not too savvy on how to isolate the D out of the denominator.
You multiply both sides of the equation by ## D ##. This will put the ## D ## on the left side and the ## D's ## on the right side (upstairs and downstairs) will cancel. Meanwhile your ## \pi^2/\pi=\pi ## and ## \pi=3.14159 ##. Looks like your algebra may be a little rusty, but this is a good calculation to get some practice with it...Notice also how the 4's cancel on the right side (4/4=1), and the "3" (in the 4/3) will wind up in the numerator(upstairs) on the right side. (The ## G ## that you asked about is the universal gravitational constant and it is ## G=6.67 E-11 ##).

Last edited:
I got 1.70333034e-19
Doesn't sound right.

Just144Ice said:
Ok so,
I've got:
Keep everything symbolic until you have a formula for the quantity you are after. Measured numeric values in a formula make the algebra more difficult.

Just144Ice said:
I got 1.70333034e-19
Doesn't sound right.
The G is a 6.67 E-11 in the denominator. (I think you might have incorrectly used 6.67 E+11. G=6.67 E-11). It will get multiplied by the 9108^2 and the result is approximately 5.2 E-3 in the denominator. There is a ## 3 \pi ## in the numerator so the result will be ((3)(3.14))/(5.2 E-3). Next step is to convert this to a single number. Please try to verify these estimates. The result is in kilograms per cubic meter. (To compare to the density of water, you need to convert to grams per cubic centimeter. Water has density 1 gram per cubic centimeter. That should tell you if your answer makes sense.)

Last edited:
Just144Ice said:
Where the heck did you find that?
It is a fundamental constant, you have to either know it or look it up. Your textbook, Wikipedia, WolframAlpha, Google, ... all have the value.
jbriggs444 said:
Keep everything symbolic until you have a formula for the quantity you are after. Measured numeric values in a formula make the algebra more difficult.
This really helps. Also, keep the units once you plug in values, that gives an additional cross-check that everything is right.

What is the formula for calculating density using period of orbit?

The formula for calculating density using period of orbit is: Density = (3 x π x (Orbital Radius)^3) / (G x (Period of Orbit)^2), where G is the gravitational constant.

What is the significance of using period of orbit in calculating density?

The period of orbit is the time it takes for an object to complete one full orbit around another object. It is an important factor in calculating density because it is directly related to the gravitational force between the two objects. This gravitational force is what keeps the object in its orbit and affects its density.

Can the period of orbit be used to calculate the density of any object?

No, the period of orbit can only be used to calculate the density of objects that have a known orbital radius and are orbiting around a larger object with a known mass. This formula is commonly used in astronomy to determine the density of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.

What units should be used for the period of orbit and orbital radius in the density formula?

The period of orbit should be measured in seconds, and the orbital radius should be measured in meters. This will result in the density being calculated in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

Are there any limitations to using the density formula with period of orbit?

The density formula using period of orbit assumes that the object is in a circular orbit and that the only force acting on it is gravity. This may not be the case for all objects, so the calculated density may not be entirely accurate. Additionally, the formula does not take into account any variations in the object's density throughout its volume.