A college degree for creating the ultimate problem solving mind

In summary, there is a common belief that mastering physics is the best way to develop problem-solving skills, making it the ideal major for aspiring problem solvers. However, there are questions about the truth and bias of this statement, as well as its applicability to other majors such as mathematics and computer science. It is possible that physics majors excel in problem solving because they often deal with counter-intuitive phenomena, but it is also important to have a well-rounded education in multiple subjects.
CynicusRex
Gold Member
I have frequently read and heard that mastering physics is the ultimate way to mold a problem-solving mind. Therefore, becoming a physics major is supposed to be the best way of doing so. I wonder to what degree that statement holds true.

Is it true? Is it biased? Am I misinterpreting something? Why would it be less true for a mathematics major, or a computer science major? Could it be that physics majors are better problem solvers in general, in all walks of life, whereas other majors specialize in solving problems specific to their field? Suppose it is true, is it because physicists study counter-intuitive phenomena more frequently? I'm interested in seeing other perspectives on this matter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers are problem solvers. When they design a solution to a problem, they are not just considering the science of the actual device or process. They have to balance cost, performance, environmental, and safety issues.

I think that Physics is not enough, by itself. I would be interested in reading the article, which you mentioned.

scottdave said:
I would be interested in reading the article, which you mentioned.

It's not a specific article, but hearsay from a bunch of people like Elon Musk, or Paul Graham from Y Combinator, etc. And they don't state things like "physicists are the ultimate problem solvers," but it always comes down to "if you want to learn how to solve problems better, learn physics."

I started noticing because I haven't heard anyone say "if you want to learn how to solve problems better, learn computer science." Actually, engineers are high on that 'list' as well.

PS I do not want to put any particular field on some kind of pedestal, for that is silly and pointless.

That makes more sense, now. I think a well solid base in several of subjects is key to good problem solving skills.

What is meant by "creating the ultimate problem solving mind"?

Creating the ultimate problem solving mind refers to developing the ability to think critically, analyze information, and come up with creative solutions to complex problems. This is a key skill that is highly valued in many industries and can be honed through obtaining a college degree.

What types of college degrees are best for developing problem solving skills?

There are many types of college degrees that can help develop problem solving skills, including degrees in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), business, and liberal arts. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and career goals.

How does obtaining a college degree help in problem solving?

A college degree provides a structured learning environment where individuals are exposed to a wide range of subjects and ideas. This helps to expand their knowledge and critical thinking skills, which are essential for effective problem solving. Additionally, college degrees often involve hands-on experiences such as internships or research projects, which allow individuals to apply their problem solving skills in real-world situations.

What skills can I expect to gain from pursuing a college degree for problem solving?

Pursuing a college degree for problem solving can help individuals develop skills such as critical thinking, analytical reasoning, communication, creativity, and adaptability. These skills are not only valuable for solving complex problems, but also for success in various aspects of life and future career opportunities.

Is a college degree the only way to develop problem solving skills?

No, a college degree is not the only way to develop problem solving skills. There are many other ways to improve problem solving abilities, such as taking online courses, attending workshops and seminars, participating in group projects, and seeking out mentorship opportunities. However, a college degree provides a comprehensive and structured approach to developing these skills, which may be beneficial for some individuals.