A complex exp-series and related trig-integral

• MHB
  • Thread starter DreamWeaver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation was about a series that involves a complex variable and a natural number. The hint provided a way to simplify the series using a special function. The results were not verified but will be looked at in the future.
DreamWeaver
This is not a tutorial... Just for a bit of fun. All contributions welcome! (Handshake)Here's an interesting series to explore. Let \(\displaystyle j\in\mathbb{N}\cup \{0\}\), and \(\displaystyle p\in\mathbb{N}\ge 2\), then consider the following series:\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{2\pi ik/p}}{(2k+1)^{j+1}}\)As I say, it's just for fun. I'll post some results soon, but by all means, do help yourselves in the mean-time. Oh, go on! You know you want too... (Tmi)Relevance:

This complex-exponential series is essential for evaluating the following trigonometric integral, with \(\displaystyle m\in\mathbb{N}\):\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/p}\frac{x^m}{\sin x}\, dx\)
Series hint:

Split the series into real and imaginary parts, then express as Polygamma/Hurwitz Zeta functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider

$$\text{Li}_j(e^{\frac{\pi i}{p}})=\sum_{k\geq 1}\frac{e^{\frac{k\pi i}{p}}}{k^j}$$

By splitting into even and odd we have

$$e^{\frac{\pi i}{p}}\sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{p}}}{(2k+1)^j}=\text{Li}_j(e^{\frac{\pi i}{p}})-2^{-j}\text{Li}_j(e^{\frac{2\pi i}{p}})$$

This Can be further sumplified using

$$Li_j(x)+Li_j(-x)=2^{1-j}Li_j(x^2)$$

Last edited:
Hey DW , I hope you can verify my results. I don't have the resources to do so.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Hey DW , I hope you can verify my results. I don't have the resources to do so.

Looks good to me, Zaid! But I have had mucho beer tonight, so I'll take a proper look tomorrow, when I find my brain again. I'm sure it's here somewhere... (Bandit)

This is a Fourier series representation of the function f(x) = x^j on the interval [-pi, pi] with periodicity 2pi. The terms in the series correspond to the coefficients in the Fourier series, and the exponent e^(2pi ik/p) is related to the complex exponential function. The trig-integral mentioned could possibly be referring to the integral of a trigonometric function, such as sin(x) or cos(x). Overall, this series and integral are interesting to explore as they relate to Fourier series and complex analysis, which have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics.

Related to A complex exp-series and related trig-integral

1. What is a complex exp-series?

A complex exp-series is a mathematical series that involves the exponential function, which is a function of the form e^x. This series can be written as a sum of terms, where each term is a multiple of a power of the exponential function. The series can have both real and imaginary terms, making it a complex series.

2. How is a complex exp-series related to trigonometric integrals?

A complex exp-series is related to trigonometric integrals through Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This allows us to express the terms in a complex exp-series in terms of trigonometric functions, making it easier to evaluate the series using techniques from calculus.

3. What is the general form of a complex exp-series?

The general form of a complex exp-series is given by the following expression: Sum from n=0 to infinity of (a_n * e^(b_n*x)), where a_n and b_n are constants. This form allows us to manipulate the series and apply various techniques to evaluate it.

4. How can a complex exp-series be used in real-world applications?

Complex exp-series can be used to model various phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of electrical circuits, population growth, and radioactive decay. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating a complex exp-series?

Some techniques for evaluating a complex exp-series include using Euler's formula, manipulating the series into a known form, using power series expansions, and applying various integration techniques such as integration by parts or substitution. The choice of technique depends on the specific form of the series and the desired level of accuracy in the evaluation.