A copper wire and an iron wire - Potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a composite wire made of copper and iron, with a potential difference applied across it. The solution involves using the Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to calculate the potential difference across the iron wire, which can be found by finding the resistances of the two wires and using the voltage division rule. The conversation also mentions the need to find the conductivity of the two materials, which may not have been stated in the original problem.
mk9898

Homework Statement

A copper wire and an iron wire of equal length l and diameter d are joined, and a potential difference V is applied between the ends of the composite wire. Calculate the potential difference (in volts) across the iron wire. Assume that l = 2.00 m., d = 0.30 mm., and V = 156 V.

The Attempt at a Solution

156 * 10 / (10+1.7) = 133.33 volts

156 * 1.7 / (10+1.7) = 22.67 volts

My question is: where do these equations come from? What are the derivations?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come up with with your solution attempt and what are your thoughts behind it ?

I should have noted that the solution and question in and of itself I found while searching google. I just want to know how they came about this solution i.e. where did this equation come from.

Ah... I think its a remix of Ohm law, V=RI , where they have rewritten the resistance as L/(σ*A) , where σ is the conductivity of a given material.

I not entirely sure tho, some units on the calculations would have helped a lot hehe

Lazar Lakic said:
I not entirely sure tho, some units on the calculations would have helped a lot hehe

Yea exactly what I thought. In general it is: ##\Delta V_1 = \frac{\Delta V * R_1}{R_1+R_2}##. I tried to work backwards having the denominator on the other side but still not sure what it could be. I then thought it has something to do with resistors in parallel but this exercise comes from a chapter before DC circuits are introduced.

On the right track , try to Calculate Rcopper and RIron and the current separately.
I think you are supposed to find the conductivity of Iron and copper in your book as they are not stated in the problem.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force for electric current to flow.

2. How are copper and iron wires different in terms of potential difference?

Copper and iron wires have different electrical properties, which affect their potential difference. Copper is a good conductor of electricity, meaning it allows electric current to flow easily, while iron is a poor conductor. This means that a copper wire will have a lower potential difference compared to an iron wire of the same length and thickness.

3. Can potential difference be measured?

Yes, potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points in the circuit where the potential difference is being measured. It measures the voltage in volts (V).

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is the driving force for electric current to flow. The higher the potential difference, the greater the force and the more current will flow. Conversely, a lower potential difference will result in less current flowing through the circuit.

5. Why is it important to consider potential difference in electrical circuits?

Potential difference is important in electrical circuits because it determines the flow of electric current. It is necessary to have the correct potential difference in a circuit in order for it to function properly and for the desired amount of current to flow. Too high of a potential difference can lead to damage or even hazards, while too low of a potential difference may result in the circuit not working at all.