A difficult boat and river problem

In summary: in summary, the boatman always points the boat towards a point on the other side of the river opposite to the starting point, which is where the equation for the boat's path is found.
Swap

Homework Statement

A boat is rowed with constant speed u starting from a point A on
the bank of a river of width d , which flows with a constant speed
nu . The boatman always points the boat at a point O on the other
side of the bank opposite to A. Find the equation of the path
r = f (theta ) for the boat.

Homework Equations

dx/dt = v

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find dr/dt in terms of theta. here is my expression dr/dt= u(1-nsin(theta)). The problem is when I integrate it i have to express dt in terms of d(theta) which I cannot find.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the problem much. Is it the boat's velocity relative to the ground, or its velocity relative to the water, which always points towards the water? I guess it's the latter, because if n>1 then there is no chance that the boatman can guide the boat towards O.

Let's assume so. I think your equation is a little bit incorrect (just a little bit, most is fine). First, you should write down the formula of velocity in polar coordinates, i.e. write down [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in term of [tex]r[/tex] , [tex]\theta[/tex] and the unit vectors [tex]\vec{e}_r[/tex] and [tex]\vec{e}_{\theta}[/tex]. Then use the condition that [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is the sum of 2 velocity: u in the direction towards O and nu in the direction to the left. You should arrive at these 2 equations:

[tex]nusin\theta-u=\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]nucos\theta=r\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

From here, you can solve for [tex]r(\theta)[/tex].

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 466
can u explain me how u arrive at the second equation. I don't understand it

Can you do step 1, i.e. writing down the formula of velocity in polar coordinates?

oh ok I got it. I didnt think of v=r(omega). Thx...

What is the "difficult boat and river problem"?

The "difficult boat and river problem" is a mathematical puzzle that presents a scenario where a boat is trying to cross a river with a varying current. The goal is to determine the minimum speed the boat needs to maintain in order to successfully cross the river without drifting downstream.

What makes the "difficult boat and river problem" challenging?

The difficulty of this problem lies in the fact that the current of the river is constantly changing, and the boat must maintain a specific minimum speed in order to make progress. This requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts such as vectors, rates, and relative motion.

What are some real-world applications of the "difficult boat and river problem"?

The "difficult boat and river problem" has applications in fields such as engineering, navigation, and robotics. In engineering, it can be used to calculate the minimum speed needed for a boat to cross a river with a varying current. In navigation, it can help determine the optimal route for a boat to take in order to reach a specific destination. And in robotics, it can be used to program robots to move against a current in order to reach a goal.

What are some strategies for solving the "difficult boat and river problem"?

One strategy for solving this problem is to use vector mathematics to break down the boat's motion into horizontal and vertical components. Another strategy is to use the concept of relative velocity to calculate the boat's speed relative to the river's current. Additionally, setting up equations and using algebraic manipulation can also help in finding the minimum speed required.

Are there variations of the "difficult boat and river problem"?

Yes, there are many variations of this problem, such as having multiple boats trying to cross the river at the same time, or having the river's current change direction at certain points. There are also similar problems in which a boat is trying to reach a specific point on the opposite bank of the river, rather than just crossing it. These variations can add extra layers of complexity to the problem and require different approaches to solving it.