A doubt regarding position representation of product of operators

In summary, the position representation of the combined operator is the product of the position representations of the individual operators.
Kashmir
We've two operators ##\hat{a}##,##\hat{b}##. I know their position representation ##\langle r|\hat{b} \mid \psi\rangle=b##
##\langle r|\hat{a}| \psi\rangle=a
##

Is it generally true that the position representation of the combined operator ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## is ##a b## where ##a, b## are the individual representations of the operators ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
We've two operators ##\hat{a}##,##\hat{b}##. I know their position representation ##\langle r|\hat{b} \mid \psi\rangle=b##
##

Is it generally true that the position representation of the combined operator ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## is ##a b## where ##a, b## are the individual representations of the operators ?
It doesn't look right, does it? Is there a counterexample?

Kashmir said:
##
What sort of mathematical objects are ##a## and ##b##? Are they numbers? Functions? Something else?

Of course, this also begs the question "what is the combined operator"?

I'm sorry. I used wrong notation. My question is :

If two operators ##\hat{a},\hat{b}## have their position representations as ##a, b## ( both ##a, b## are operators but here they act on wavefunctions rather than kets) then is it true in general that the operator ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## , which is a product of the two operators has its position representation as the product of the position representation of the individual operators i.e is the position representation of ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## given as ##a b## ?

Kashmir said:
If two operators ##\hat{a},\hat{b}## have their position representations as ##a, b## ( both ##a, b## are operators but here they act on wavefunctions rather than kets) then is it true in general that the operator ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## , which is a product of the two operators has its position representation as the product of the position representation of the individual operators i.e is the position representation of ##\hat{a}\hat{b}## given as ##a b## ?
You still haven't answered the question I asked in post #3. You should. Answering it should indicate to you that the question you are asking here is not even well-defined (because it's based on an implicit assumption that is not valid). Can you see why (i.e., what the invalid assumption is)?

PeterDonis said:
What sort of mathematical objects are ##a## and ##b##? Are they numbers? Functions? Something else?
They are objects that can act on a wavefunction ##\psi(x)##, for example it can be ##-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##, or just simply a multiplication by ##x##.

That's a bit of a dilemma of notation. On the one hand you have the abstract operators in the abstract Hilbert space and on the other hand the same operators acting on "wave functions" in a given representation, i.e., wrt. a complete orthonormal basis of compatible observables.

E.g., for the momentum operator for motion in one dimension you have
$$\hat{p} \psi(x)=-\mathrm{i} \hbar \partial_x \psi(x)=\langle x|\hat{p}|\psi \rangle.$$
On the left-hand side it's the operator acting on the wave function, i.e., the position representation of the state vector. On the right-most side of the equation, it's the operator acting in the abstract Hilbert space.

Likes Kashmir
Kashmir said:
They are objects that can act on a wavefunction ##\psi(x)##, for example it can be ##-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}##, or just simply a multiplication by ##x##.
To put your question in mathematical language. We have a correspendence between states and position-space wave-functions:$$|\psi \rangle \leftrightarrow \psi$$where$$\forall x: \ \langle x|\psi \rangle = \psi(x)$$This implies a correspondence between operators on abstract states ##|\psi \rangle## and operators on square-integrable functions ##\psi##:$$\hat A \leftrightarrow \bar A$$where:$$\forall x, \psi: \ \langle x|(\hat A\psi) \rangle = (\bar A \psi)(x)$$What you are asking is whether this correspondence preserves operator composition? I.e. do we have:$$\forall \hat A, \hat B: \ \hat A \hat B \leftrightarrow \bar A \bar B$$Can you prove that as a exercise in linear algebra?

Likes Kashmir, DrClaude and vanhees71
PeroK said:
To put your question in mathematical language. We have a correspendence between states and position-space wave-functions:$$|\psi \rangle \leftrightarrow \psi$$where$$\forall x: \ \langle x|\psi \rangle = \psi(x)$$This implies a correspondence between operators on abstract states ##|\psi \rangle## and operators on square-integrable functions ##\psi##:$$\hat A \leftrightarrow \bar A$$where:$$\forall x, \psi: \ \langle x|(\hat A\psi) \rangle = (\bar A \psi)(x)$$What you are asking is whether this correspondence preserves operator composition? I.e. do we have:$$\forall \hat A, \hat B: \ \hat A \hat B \leftrightarrow \bar A \bar B$$Can you prove that as a exercise in linear algebra?
No. Any hints please?

I think I've done it. I'll post my attempt

Let the wavefunction of ##|\psi\rangle## be ##\psi (x)##

Let ##a, b## be the position representation of ##A, B##.

Then we've ##b \psi (x)=
\langle x | B|\psi\rangle##.

Let ##f(x)=\langle x | B|\psi\rangle## be wavefunction of ##|f\rangle##

Then we've ##a f (x)=
\langle x | A|f\rangle##

Then ##\begin{aligned} a b \psi(x) &=a\langle x|\hat{B}| \psi\rangle=a f(x) \\ &=\langle x|\hat{A}| f\rangle \\=\langle x|\hat{A}| \hat{B} \mid \psi\rangle \end{aligned}##

Likes vanhees71
Kashmir said:
No. Any hints please?
These things often fall out if you have the discipline to work through the definitions. The trick is not to wave your arms and say this step is obvious, but use what you know to be true.

Let's take two operators and their composition:$$\hat C = \hat A \hat B$$What we want to show is that$$\bar C = \bar A \bar B$$By definition of ##\bar C## we have$$\forall x, \psi: \langle x |\hat A \hat B|\psi \rangle = \langle x |\hat C|\psi \rangle = (\bar C \psi)(x)$$And what we need to show is that: $$\forall x, \psi: (\bar C \psi)(x) = (\bar A \bar B \psi)(x)$$A good idea now is to let $$|\phi \rangle = \hat B | \psi \rangle$$So that:$$\forall x: \phi(x) = \langle x |\phi \rangle = \langle x | \hat B | \psi \rangle = (\bar B \psi)(x)$$Which gives us the functional equation $$\phi = \bar B \psi$$And, again by definition we have:$$\forall x, \psi: \langle x|\hat A |\phi \rangle = (\bar A \phi)(x)$$Putting these last two equations together we have:
$$\forall x, \psi: \langle x|\hat A \hat B| \psi \rangle = \langle x|\hat A |\phi \rangle = (\bar A \phi)(x) = (\bar A \bar B \psi)(x)$$And that's it.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, vanhees71 and Kashmir
Kashmir said:
Let the wavefunction of ##|\psi\rangle## be ##\psi (x)##

Let ##a, b## be the position representation of ##A, B##.

Then we've ##b \psi (x)=
\langle x | B|\psi\rangle##.

Let ##f(x)=\langle x | B|\psi\rangle## be wavefunction of ##|f\rangle##

Then we've ##a f (x)=
\langle x | A|f\rangle##

Then ##\begin{aligned} a b \psi(x) &=a\langle x|\hat{B}| \psi\rangle=a f(x) \\ &=\langle x|\hat{A}| f\rangle \\=\langle x|\hat{A}| \hat{B} \mid \psi\rangle \end{aligned}##
This is the right idea, but it lacks the discipline of a formal proof! It takes practice to develop formal proof-writing techniques.

Likes vanhees71 and Kashmir
PeroK said:
This is the right idea, but it lacks the discipline of a formal proof! It takes practice to develop formal proof-writing techniques.
Thank you. I will work harder.

Likes vanhees71
Kashmir said:
So what does the "product" of two such objects mean? For example, say the two objects are ##- i \hbar \partial_x## and ##- i \hbar \partial_y##. How would you multiply them?

(I see that @PeroK already gave an answer to the above, but was that the answer you had in mind in the OP of this thread?)

Likes gentzen
PeterDonis said:
So what does the "product" of two such objects mean? For example, say the two objects are ##- i \hbar \partial_x## and ##- i \hbar \partial_y##. How would you multiply them?

(I see that @PeroK already gave an answer to the above, but was that the answer you had in mind in the OP of this thread?)
Their multiplication means that I would apply them consecutively. I know that I should have written it as perok wrote but I wasn't able to gather it in mathematical language.

Yes what PeroK wrote is what I meant.

Likes gentzen and vanhees71
In math that's a quite general notion: The composition of two operators acting in some way on "objects" often follows rules similar to a (usually not commutative) product. For linear operators mapping a vector space into itself (automorphisms) they form together with the addition a ring. For QT even more important us the fact that self-adjoint operators with the commurators (multiplied by ##\mathrm{i}##) form a Lie algebra. These "Lie brackets" in addition build also a derivative structure. In this way the self-adjoint operators define one-parameter Lie groups, e.g., the Hamiltonian generates "time translations" etc.

1. What is the position representation of a product of operators?

The position representation of a product of operators is a mathematical representation that describes the behavior of a system in terms of its position in space. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain position.

2. How is the position representation of a product of operators calculated?

The position representation of a product of operators is calculated by taking the product of the operators and then applying it to the wave function of the system. This results in a new wave function that describes the system in terms of its position.

3. What is the significance of the position representation of a product of operators?

The position representation of a product of operators is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system in terms of its position in space. This is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles is often described in terms of their position.

4. Are there any limitations to the position representation of a product of operators?

Yes, there are limitations to the position representation of a product of operators. It is only applicable to systems that can be described in terms of position, and it does not take into account other physical properties such as momentum or spin.

5. How is the position representation of a product of operators related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The position representation of a product of operators is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle because it is used to calculate the uncertainty in the position of a particle. This uncertainty is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is related to the inherent uncertainty in measuring both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.