A few questions about electrodeposition of Cu with H202 and CH₃COOH

• Thread starter theycallmevirgo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using a process to plate copper onto a surface treated with conductive paint. The first Chemistry SE question talks about safe disposal of byproducts, and there is uncertainty about whether it applies to the electrodeposition reaction. It is recommended to contact a local Household Hazardous Waste department for guidance. The second question asks about the possibility of calculating current draw for a given voltage and surface area, and it is suggested to estimate the surface and use a regulated current source. The third question inquires about the accuracy of calculating the amount of copper consumed per cm^2 of plated surface and the thickness of the layer, and it is stated that the layer thickness in electrodeposition can be controlled by adjusting the charge or time of electrodeposition
theycallmevirgo
TL;DR Summary
Is the byproduct safe to pour down the drain? Can the current draw (for a given voltage) be calculated to any degree of accuracy?
I would like to use this process to plate copper on to a surface treated with conductive paint. These Chemistry SE questions discuss an etching process with similar reagents - 1,2,3

A) The first SE question discusses safe disposal of byproducts, but even if there is a conclusive answer (and I'm missing it if there is), does it apply to the electrodeposition reaction? Is it safe to pour the byproduct down the drain?

B) Assume surface area under 50 cm^2 and a 6V supply. Will current draw ever exceed 5A? Is it possible to calculate current draw for given voltage per cm^2? What deviation should I reasonably expect from calculated value before I decide that my setup is wrong?

C) I want to save some time and buy this instead of chopping up scrubbing pads as the instructions suggest. Can I calculate to any accuracy amount of copper consumed per cm^2 of plated surface? Is it simply a matter of molar conversion from plating thickness? If so, how thick is the layer?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
theycallmevirgo said:
Is the byproduct safe to pour down the drain?
Contact your local Household Hazardous Waste department with this question please.

Thread is locked temporarily for Mentor review...

EDIT -- Thread is reopened.

Last edited:
Spent solutions will contain some amount of copper which is toxic, so no, putting them own the drain doesn't sound OK.

Calculating current is in theory possible, in practice it is easier to estimate the surface, calculate the current required (most electrochemical processes have an optimal current density) and use a regulated current source.

Layer thickness in electrodeposition is whatever you want it to be, it is directly proportional to the charge (or, which makes it even easier to control, to the electrodeposition time in a constant current operation).

1. What is electrodeposition?

Electrodeposition is a process where a metal is deposited onto a conductive surface using an electrical current. In this case, it involves the deposition of copper onto a conductive surface using hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid.

2. What is the purpose of using H202 and CH₃COOH in the electrodeposition of Cu?

H202 and CH₃COOH are used as additives in the electrodeposition process to improve the quality and properties of the deposited copper. H202 acts as an oxidizing agent, while CH₃COOH helps to control the pH and prevent the formation of unwanted byproducts.

3. What are the main factors that affect the electrodeposition process?

The main factors that affect electrodeposition include the concentration and composition of the electrolyte solution, the applied current and voltage, the temperature, and the surface properties of the substrate.

4. What are the potential applications of electrodeposited Cu?

Electrodeposited copper has a wide range of applications, including in electronics, as a coating for corrosion protection, in electroforming for the production of metal parts, and in the manufacturing of printed circuit boards.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations of electrodeposition of Cu with H202 and CH₃COOH?

Some potential challenges or limitations of this electrodeposition process include the need for precise control of the electrolyte composition and conditions, the potential for hydrogen gas evolution, and the possibility of impurities or defects in the deposited copper layer.